The Student Room Group

Hourly rate for babysitting??

I babysit occasionally for a neighbour and I have no idea what she should be paying me. I am 17, so the minimum wage is £3.40, but that doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Any other babysitters out there; what do you charge? Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Negotiate a price with her.

This is a pro:http://www.nicksbabysittingservice.co.uk/costofbabysitting.html

So anywhere between the minimum wage and him tbh. I would hold out for the 'National Minimum wage' as you aren't doing anything different to an adult.
Well i get alot of different amounts im never really consistant!

im doing babysitting in the next week and im getting £6.80 and hour for that, there isnt a set rate for the cost of babysitting more the discresion of the parents as it is cash in hand work...
Reply 3
hi

i do lots of babysitting. you will find, that some families pay you well and some pay you ****!

one family, have 3 children aged 14, 12 and 9 pay me approx £10 for 3.45 hours plus i had to drive there and back. so just over £2.50 an hour!!! rip off that one and the kids are brats so i only babysit them when im skint!

another family i babysit for have 3 children, aged 15 (with downsyndrome) 12 and 6. they pay me £20 for 5 hours so about £4 per hour.

wheras another family, their children are aged 8,6 and 3. they paid me £10 for like an hour and half.

so you get well paid families and low paying families. the problem is, if they dont ask you how much you should be paid (i never get asked that crucial question!) then they sort of guess and are used to the pay they would have received when they were our age! and its then embarassing to say "are you joking, im no slave"

plus a lot of people will try to justofy **** pay by saying its an easy job, but i promise you its harder than my proper weeken job! the responsibility is massive, if anything goes wrong they blame you!
Reply 4
I get about £7 an hour. I babysit for a few families in my village and they all pay about the same. Its better money than my part time job!
Thanks for that guys. Negotiation is the key I guess :smile:
Usually £4-£5 which is better then my part time job pay!
Reply 7
I'm babysitting tonight - £4 an hour before midnight and £6 per hour after. Should earn me some holiday money!
Sophi*
I get about £7 an hour. I babysit for a few families in my village and they all pay about the same. Its better money than my part time job!

You are so lucky!:p:
Yeah, £7 sounds pretty sweet. I'm aiming for around £4/hour :smile:
Reply 10
I think £5 is fair. Might be an idea to start on the national minimum wage though if you have no prior experience.
Reply 11
I used to get from £2.00-£5ph. Bloody cheap people.
Reply 12
i get around £30-£40 for 4 - 5 hours
london prices!!
but a LOVELY FAMILY THOUGH!!
Reply 13
my sister used to do a alot of babysitting and did like 9-1 and got about £40 but it depends on the family
I usually charge £20 per night which is usually half 7 to midnight
Reply 15
Don't ever babysit!!! Its too risky, anything could happen have you never heard the story 'centimeter squared, centimeter squared'????!!!!
shenzys
Don't ever babysit!!! Its too risky, anything could happen have you never heard the story 'centimeter squared, centimeter squared'????!!!!

No I haven't, care to share?
Reply 17
Everything's a risk, shenzy. Why, you could get hit by a car tomorrow, just by going out and doing your normal day-to-day business. I babysat children aged 0-12 for four or five years and never had any major problems.
Reply 18
It also depends on the situation....
If it's just straight babysitting for one child, say aged 4, for a few hours, then its usually £4-5 an hour for me.

But you have to take into account other factors, like I'm CRB checked, first aid trained, with loads of previous experience and 4 child care qualifications which bumps up the price of hiring me.... whereas say a person with no first aid training, no CRB check and not a lot of experience would expect to be paid less....

It depends on the family as well, some pay you well, and some don't. It also depends on the CHILD you are babysitting, for example, newborns, twins, children with learning disabilities, or more than one child, that can also bump the rate per hour up seeing as it's more effort and work involved.... it also depends on the situation, for example, tonight I'm babysitting ONE child aged 9, so wouldn't be any extra than my usual rate, usually, however I am babysitting her in a hotel room as she sleeps, she went to a wedding today and her parents want to go to the reception alone from 9pm-1am which is in the hotel, so the charge is more because it was a last minute decision and in a strange place.....

=] hope that helps!
Reply 19
hey everyone, im also not sure how much to charge for babysitting.. ive had over 3 years babysitting experience now, but also experience within nurseries, pre-schools and a primary school.. volunteered at rainbows and also work part time in a childrens indoor play area.. i started charging £5 per hour 3 years ago, but when new families ask how much i charge i dont know whether i should say £6 now as when i started i had no experience at all.. but then i dont want to be over charging them as sometimes its just 1 kid im babysitting or they are already in bed.. and i feel im not actually doing anything but watching tv and £6 an hour seems a bit much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending