The Student Room Group

Surname change

Ok so I have never really liked my surname it isn’t the worst but I just really don’t like it and hate when people ask what it is. I’ve Been thinking of changing it for that reason and I want a “fresh start” in life.. I just need some advice I guess. The only reason I’m not doing it is for the fact I have no real issue with my dad though I’m not really close to my family also I don’t know if I should change it to my mother’s maiden name or something completely new. Any advice is appreciated
Original post by Anon01285
Ok so I have never really liked my surname it isn’t the worst but I just really don’t like it and hate when people ask what it is. I’ve Been thinking of changing it for that reason and I want a “fresh start” in life.. I just need some advice I guess. The only reason I’m not doing it is for the fact I have no real issue with my dad though I’m not really close to my family also I don’t know if I should change it to my mother’s maiden name or something completely new. Any advice is appreciated

Will your dad be annoyed if you change it to mothers name?

Just decide on the name you want then change via deedpoll.

You then need to inform all relevant authorities that you have changed name. Bank accounts, passport etc, sometimes uni, doctors etc. make a list.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

Only you can decide what full name yoiu want.
Deedpolloffice.com, cheaper, faster and 100% legit. Changed mine through that. Didn’t have a problem with any institution.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Will your dad be annoyed if you change it to mothers name?

Just decide on the name you want then change via deedpoll.

You then need to inform all relevant authorities that you have changed name. Bank accounts, passport etc, sometimes uni, doctors etc. make a list.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

Only you can decide what full name yoiu want.

I don’t think he would be too bothered both me and my sister never liked the surname and I’m pretty sure he knows And ThankYou for the info
As long as you're doing it for the right reasons, i.e because you genuinely don't like the name, rather than out of anger or hurt, then I'm sure he'll understand

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending