The Student Room Group

Nursing student and pregnant

Hi, Im in my first year of Nursing and I found im pregnant over a month ago now. Im happy about the pregnancy but im feeling worried about how im going to finish my studies for this year. I have already planned to have my baby in August and then take a gap year then return in to my course in September 2021. Only issue im worried about is the placements, which is full time. Im worried that i may end up missing out on alot of the hours due to appoinments and maybe feeling unwell more towards the end of the pregnancy. What i really want to know is what are my options if i dont manage to complete all my hours in my first year. Is is possible to make up some of the placement hours during my gap year? Anyone who has been in a similar experience to me, how did you cope? did you manage to complete all your placement hours?
Original post by StudentnurseLA
Hi, Im in my first year of Nursing and I found im pregnant over a month ago now. Im happy about the pregnancy but im feeling worried about how im going to finish my studies for this year. I have already planned to have my baby in August and then take a gap year then return in to my course in September 2021. Only issue im worried about is the placements, which is full time. Im worried that i may end up missing out on alot of the hours due to appoinments and maybe feeling unwell more towards the end of the pregnancy. What i really want to know is what are my options if i dont manage to complete all my hours in my first year. Is is possible to make up some of the placement hours during my gap year? Anyone who has been in a similar experience to me, how did you cope? did you manage to complete all your placement hours?

Hi there! I have been in the exact same situation as you! I found out 5 days after starting my 1st year that I was expecting a little one! Which university is it that you’re at?
Reply 2
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Hi there! I have been in the exact same situation as you! I found out 5 days after starting my 1st year that I was expecting a little one! Which university is it that you’re at?

Hi,

I'm curious as to what your options now you found out so early in the year. Have you discussed with your uni, and if so what did they advise?

Daisy
Original post by dbarrow1
Hi,

I'm curious as to what your options now you found out so early in the year. Have you discussed with your uni, and if so what did they advise?

Daisy

Hello there! Every university is different. Where are you hoping to study? When I found out I was expecting, I booked a meeting with my personal tutor who told me I could take a maternity leave of absence. I chose what date i’d stay on my course until (I continued doing my course until I was 31 weeks pregnant) and then I left for a year. I came back March 2019 after my maternity leave and just picked up where I left off! Keele were extremely understanding and supportive of my situation, I was so relieved!
Email your personal tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending