The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Terrified of the year abroad

I am currently a second year at kent doing a joint honours language degree, and I am just really scared of doing my year abroad.
I have always struggled being away from home, but as it was a degree I wanted to do, I knew I'd just have to deal with it and it would be a great experience in the end.

Today the government voted not to keep the Erasmus system, and with this much uncertainty I just really don't think i've got it in me to go. I want to, but i can't stop feeling constantly anxious about the situation.

It's a compulsory year abroad and I obviously don't want to drop out but I just don't know what to do or who to talk to. I have genuinely never felt so anxious or terrified.
Reply 1
I just graduated from a joint honours languages degree and I was also incredibly nervous about the year abroad. Like you, I struggle being away from home but I had to do it for my degree and it honestly ended up being the best year out of the four. I truly gained so much independence and self-confidence while abroad. Have you picked where you are going and what you will be doing?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Tash28
I just graduated from a joint honours languages degree and I was also incredibly nervous about the year abroad. Like you, I struggle being away from home but I had to do it for my degree and it honestly ended up being the best year out of the four. I truly gained so much independence and self-confidence while abroad. Have you picked where you are going and what you will be doing?

Yeah I know where I am going. I am doing two university placements in my two first choices, but I am still incredibly nervous about it all. I know that once it's done I'll have had a great time, but right now thinking about it just make me feel sick with nerves.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I know where I am going. I am doing two university placements in my two first choices, but I am still incredibly nervous about it all. I know that once it's done I'll have had a great time, but right now thinking about it just make me feel sick with nerves.

Do you know anyone else from your uni going to the same universities? Look for Study Abroad FB groups for the places you will be going to and try to arrange some fun things to do during your first few days after arriving and to look forward to before you leave.
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently a second year at kent doing a joint honours language degree, and I am just really scared of doing my year abroad.
I have always struggled being away from home, but as it was a degree I wanted to do, I knew I'd just have to deal with it and it would be a great experience in the end.

Today the government voted not to keep the Erasmus system, and with this much uncertainty I just really don't think i've got it in me to go. I want to, but i can't stop feeling constantly anxious about the situation.

It's a compulsory year abroad and I obviously don't want to drop out but I just don't know what to do or who to talk to. I have genuinely never felt so anxious or terrified

Hey there!
I'm so sorry to hear you're not feeling great at all about your year abroad. You may have already, but it could be worth speaking to someone from the year abroad team or international partnership team who may be able to offer you some advice about all of this and hopefully put your mind at ease :smile:
Here is the link to their contact information.
I hope that this helps! Best of luck with everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending