The Student Room Group

What to wear on first date?

Hi guys, going out for dinner with a lad in London. We are both 18, and not sure what to wear. His usual style is casual laidback streetwear, and I want to look really pretty and make effort but not over the top. What should I wear?
Where are you going for dinner?
Reply 2
Original post by sinfonietta
Where are you going for dinner?

Not anything fancy, but not like a greasy spoon café, if that makes sense. It's fairly casual but would still like to make an effort.
What sort of look do you want to go for. Do you want to go casual, a nice top and a pair of Jean's or trousers.
Or more formal a top and a nice skirt or dress.
For me alot would depend on what type of place you were going to, secondly what your date is wearing, you dont want to turn up overdressed.
If it were me going on a first date I would make a bit of a effort without going ott.
Probably a nice top and a skirt. Hope this helps. Good luck. X
Reply 4
Original post by Karisa96
What sort of look do you want to go for. Do you want to go casual, a nice top and a pair of Jean's or trousers.
Or more formal a top and a nice skirt or dress.
For me alot would depend on what type of place you were going to, secondly what your date is wearing, you dont want to turn up overdressed.
If it were me going on a first date I would make a bit of a effort without going ott.
Probably a nice top and a skirt. Hope this helps. Good luck. X

Thanks so much for the reply :smile: My date's fashion sense would be fairly casual, and I dont want to be too overdressed. However, I personally would feel more comfortable in jeans rather than a skirt/dress. My issue is mainly with matching colours correctly :?
Original post by xsofiex
casual laidback streetwear

Canada Goose jacket tickkk
Nike Jumper tickkk
White AF1s tickkk
Literally Armani jeans tickkk

Soz this is what's going through my head when someone says casual laidback streetwear... Nowadays. LOL
Reply 6
Original post by lightsabir
Canada Goose jacket tickkk
Nike Jumper tickkk
White AF1s tickkk
Literally Armani jeans tickkk

Soz this is what's going through my head when someone says casual laidback streetwear... Nowadays. LOL

Hahaha, I mean you're not far off to be fair:smile: But then again he is a teenage boy I guess!
Original post by xsofiex
Thanks so much for the reply :smile: My date's fashion sense would be fairly casual, and I dont want to be too overdressed. However, I personally would feel more comfortable in jeans rather than a skirt/dress. My issue is mainly with matching colours correctly :?

There you go Hun, your pretty much already to go.
Wear what you feel comfortable in.
Save the skirt/,dress for another day, if things work out between you. X
Original post by xsofiex
Hi guys, going out for dinner with a lad in London. We are both 18, and not sure what to wear. His usual style is casual laidback streetwear, and I want to look really pretty and make effort but not over the top. What should I wear?

aww first of all id like to say good luck with ur date. Im a guy and im 18 but ill give u a honest opinion on what to wear. I think u should wear a bright red dress but not too bright and then u can put on matching makeup like red lipstick n stuff. U just wanna seem simple and not too overly dressed cos u wanna get the right impression from the guy.
Probably a nice top and trousers.
Women should always wear a skirt or dress for a date regardless of what the guy is wearing.
Original post by Rakas21
Women should always wear a skirt or dress for a date regardless of what the guy is wearing.

What if you’re going

Hiking
Cycling
Theme park
Skiing

You should still wear a skirt or a dress? What if it’s freezing?

TLDR; don’t take advice from wikihow literally.
Original post by Rakas21

It would have to be something really fancy for me to wear a dress 😂 I don't even wear dresses or skirts to go clubbing, not gonna wear them on a date and feel awkward and uncomfortable all night

Quick Reply

Latest