The Student Room Group

I'm struggling to get a job after uni and I'm running out of grad schemes to apply to

Since this september after I graduated I have been stuck trying to get a job on a Graduate Scheme. I have made 40 applications in total, which at face value doesn't seem like a lot. However, most of these applications take 1-3 hours of my time to complete.

This is because they sometimes need an essay (Total of 1000 words normally) and/or come with a large amount of physcometric tests I need to do which I fail at half the time. It can also go into days of work when factoring video interview preperation and assessment centre's (I've only gotten to an assessment centre once).

I know my CV/Covering Letter is good I have had them looked at and revised by my careers department at Uni (I often make it thru the 1st stage before physcometric testing but not always). The psychometric tests I can't do much about though as their often situation judgement tests or a basic mathmatical type test that you can't really revise for, it comes down to speed and natural aptitude more than anything else.

I want a job but I'm at the end of my tether spending my free time trying and failing at getting a job. Every other day I've been getting rejection after rejection.

I'd also like to add the way some of these companies behave is ****ing disrespectful. I've gotten a rejection on Christmas day, told I passed to the assessment centre stage only to not be shortlisted and been made to pay for my travel to an assessment centre in a place with no public transport links. I could rattle on with more examples...

I'm finding it tricky to reason with myself why I am putting so much effort into something that is not working with companies that treat me like **** yet expect me to give them an arm and a leg for a job.

I want to get a proper job I have 2 part time gigs right now! I'm trying and have been for MONTHS and it's not working. What should I do? Keep trying? d TBH I'm thinking of doing a masters at Uni if I dont get anything come September.

PS: For those that are curious about my degree/what I'm applying for my Degree is a dual hons. degree in two humanities subjects (1st) and I'm mostly applying for logistics, anaylst, consultant, finance and general buisiness roles. Logistics is what I have had the most luck with so far.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some support.

I am sorry to hear that you have not been having much luck, do you ever receive any feedback as to why you have been unsuccessful with your applications?

Also - do you have any work experience/voluntary work in the sectors that you are apply to on your CV?

If you do decide to do your masters, I would advise that you try and find a work experience placement to do alongside to help boost your future employment prospects. I understand that they are unpaid but it's something most uni students must do to find future employment once they have graduated.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some support.

I am sorry to hear that you have not been having much luck, do you ever receive any feedback as to why you have been unsuccessful with your applications?

Also - do you have any work experience/voluntary work in the sectors that you are apply to on your CV?

If you do decide to do your masters, I would advise that you try and find a work experience placement to do alongside to help boost your future employment prospects. I understand that they are unpaid but it's something most uni students must do to find future employment once they have graduated.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks - Sophie.

From my assessment centre I got feedback saying I was a little too dominant in my group exercise though this isn't too big an issue and from my interview with them it was a case of lack of preperation/me not knowing what i was getting into. Other than that I have not got a single bit of feedback from the companies I have applied too and most mention in the rejection email they havnt got time to provide it.

As mentioned my careers department have done all they can for my CV and my Covering letter.

Mind pointing me to a place where I can find companies have a placement scheme in place if I choose to do a masters? I mainly use Prospects.co.uk, Targetjobs.co.uk and BrightNetwork.co.uk for finding work ATM.
Psychometric testing is dumb pseudoscience,
Original post by FrostyFrosties
From my assessment centre I got feedback saying I was a little too dominant in my group exercise though this isn't too big an issue and from my interview with them it was a case of lack of preperation/me not knowing what i was getting into. Other than that I have not got a single bit of feedback from the companies I have applied too and most mention in the rejection email they havnt got time to provide it.

As mentioned my careers department have done all they can for my CV and my Covering letter.

Mind pointing me to a place where I can find companies have a placement scheme in place if I choose to do a masters? I mainly use Prospects.co.uk, Targetjobs.co.uk and BrightNetwork.co.uk for finding work ATM.

Hi there,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I understand it can be frustrating to not get feedback but unfortunately graduate schemes are so competitive they will likely have a high volume of applications.

Sounds like you're using the main sites already but here a few more...

Milkround - https://bit.ly/3aipmma
Career Map - https://bit.ly/3aipq5o
Graduate Jobs - https://bit.ly/2R2GRzp
Indeed - https://bit.ly/3ai96l9

If you have any specific companies in mind you would ideally like to work for I would also advise checking their own individual websites.

I hope those extra links help and good luck for the future.

Sophie.
Reply 5
Original post by FrostyFrosties

I know my CV/Covering Letter is good I have had them looked at and revised by my careers department at Uni (I often make it thru the 1st stage before physcometric testing but not always). The psychometric tests I can't do much about though as their often situation judgement tests or a basic mathmatical type test that you can't really revise for, it comes down to speed and natural aptitude more than anything else.

For the mathematical type tests you really can practice and improve. Speed, as you say, is a big factor - so learning the techniques to work quickly is very valuable.
Reply 6
You 100% can practice for the tests.

But i'd also say graduate jobs aren't the be-all-end-all. Apply for an entry level job and work your way up 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending