The Student Room Group

My parents and sister are racist to my Korean girlfriend. What can I do?

So a bit backstory: I'm an 18-year-old guy. I'm white and my girlfriend is Korean. We have been together for two years. In these years, I've tried everything to make my family (parents and younger sister) get along with my girlfriend. Needless to say, I failed. My parents (both are in their 40s) doesn't approve of her. They also encourage their daughter to call my girlfriend racial slurs like "chink" and "gook". I really can't understand why this is happening. My parents have always been nice to me. But they won't let me date outside my race because they want white grandchildren. My sister (14) is also racist. She calls non-white people racial slurs and says how they don't belong here and that they should go back to their country etc. My parents don't care. They just let their daughter say racist things to other people.

Fast forward to Christmas 2019, my girlfriend and I agreed that we were spending Christmas Eve with my family. When we got home, my sister opened the door. She was happy to see me but after she saw my girlfriend, she said: "Why are you bringing that chink? She isn't welcome here!" I got pretty mad and told my sister to shut up and my mom told me to not talk to my sister like that. Well, being the self controlled person I am, I just decided to keep it cool and not make a big deal out of it. But as the day went on, everything got worse. When we were eating dinner, my sister asked her: "Isn't this turkey better than dog?" My girlfriend took it as a joke and didn't say anything about it. However, my parents started saying that she was using me and that she would just cheat on me. They also said how she would eat their dog. My sister called my girlfriend ugly and made fun of her eyes and breast size. But that wasn't the worst. The worst was, my parents and sister had been calling my girlfriend "chinky" the whole day. My girlfriend decided to leave early because of that. Before she left, my mom handed her two gifts and said: "Don't forget your Christmas presents!" I didn't know my parents gave her such bad gifts (Which I only found out after my girlfriend texted me the day after. She turned out to get skin whitening cream from my dad and hair dye and colored contact lenses from my mom)

Anyway, after my girlfriend left, I was upset with my family. I didn't want to talk to them. I didn't know they would be such racists. In anger, I yelled at them, told them to go to hell, and went upstairs to my room and slammed the door. I'm actually starting to resent my family.

I went to my girlfriend the day after and apologized for not standing up for her. I also told her that I will always be there for her and that she never will need to see my family again. But at the same time, I felt like I betrayed my family. My mom always told me to date and marry a white girl. But instead, I went against her wishes. I'm probably the worst son ever. My family have always loved me. If it wasn't my family, I would have died. I feel like I owe them everything. My loving parents are always sweet and caring to me and my sister. They're also nice to many others. My sister and I are very close and I know she looks up to me. I love my family but I really hate their racist behavior.

I'm not sure what to choose. Girlfriend or family?
Your family need to become more tolerant. They are blatently racist and they are in the wrong completely
I feel sorry for your girlfriend.

Speak to your parents and ask them to be nice when your girlfriend is around and watch their language, give her a chance. They can act however they like when she's not there but it is straight up rude what they are doing whilst she is there. It isn't hard for them to hold their tongue if you are there or she is. I'd be tempted to stick with your girlfriend over them. You can't choose who you love, don't feel like you have to succumb to what they say
Your biggest mistake - Not standing to up to your parents at the dinner table.

This would you partner feel better too because you are on her corner against your family mistreatment.

I think the best thing to do is, have a real heart to heart conversation with your parent. Just one, speak to the boss of the family (normally the father) but it could be your mother by the sounds of it. Find a time and sit down and get honest and have a genuine one to one conversation and express your feelings (calm). Just reason with her and try to get her to accept you as you.
I understand that you're grateful for your parents for providing for you, as anyone would be but what they've been saying is pretty out of line. If you haven't already Id sit down and have a serious talk with them and let them know that you disapprove of their attitude. You shouldn't have to choose between your family and your girlfriend, they should just learn to accept that you're with her whether they like it or not.
Honestly? **** your family.

I would be so ashamed to be related to such intolerant, narrow minded racists. Stand up for your girlfriend! You should be telling them to stop calling her names and to treat her with respect at the very least. I can't believe she's endured so much hatred and prejudice for two years and you've not done anything about it, I'd be out of the door within 5 minutes if my partner's family treated me so appallingly, even quicker if my partner just sat there and let it happen. You can't stop your family from holding such views but you can protect your girlfriend by not letting her experience any of their bigotry.
Your family are ****ing racists, don't side with racists.
Original post by Anonymous
So a bit backstory: I'm an 18-year-old guy. I'm white and my girlfriend is Korean. We have been together for two years. In these years, I've tried everything to make my family (parents and younger sister) get along with my girlfriend. Needless to say, I failed. My parents (both are in their 40s) doesn't approve of her. They also encourage their daughter to call my girlfriend racial slurs like "chink" and "gook". I really can't understand why this is happening. My parents have always been nice to me. But they won't let me date outside my race because they want white grandchildren. My sister (14) is also racist. She calls non-white people racial slurs and says how they don't belong here and that they should go back to their country etc. My parents don't care. They just let their daughter say racist things to other people.

Fast forward to Christmas 2019, my girlfriend and I agreed that we were spending Christmas Eve with my family. When we got home, my sister opened the door. She was happy to see me but after she saw my girlfriend, she said: "Why are you bringing that chink? She isn't welcome here!" I got pretty mad and told my sister to shut up and my mom told me to not talk to my sister like that. Well, being the self controlled person I am, I just decided to keep it cool and not make a big deal out of it. But as the day went on, everything got worse. When we were eating dinner, my sister asked her: "Isn't this turkey better than dog?" My girlfriend took it as a joke and didn't say anything about it. However, my parents started saying that she was using me and that she would just cheat on me. They also said how she would eat their dog. My sister called my girlfriend ugly and made fun of her eyes and breast size. But that wasn't the worst. The worst was, my parents and sister had been calling my girlfriend "chinky" the whole day. My girlfriend decided to leave early because of that. Before she left, my mom handed her two gifts and said: "Don't forget your Christmas presents!" I didn't know my parents gave her such bad gifts (Which I only found out after my girlfriend texted me the day after. She turned out to get skin whitening cream from my dad and hair dye and colored contact lenses from my mom)

Anyway, after my girlfriend left, I was upset with my family. I didn't want to talk to them. I didn't know they would be such racists. In anger, I yelled at them, told them to go to hell, and went upstairs to my room and slammed the door. I'm actually starting to resent my family.

I went to my girlfriend the day after and apologized for not standing up for her. I also told her that I will always be there for her and that she never will need to see my family again. But at the same time, I felt like I betrayed my family. My mom always told me to date and marry a white girl. But instead, I went against her wishes. I'm probably the worst son ever. My family have always loved me. If it wasn't my family, I would have died. I feel like I owe them everything. My loving parents are always sweet and caring to me and my sister. They're also nice to many others. My sister and I are very close and I know she looks up to me. I love my family but I really hate their racist behavior.

girlfriend all the way mate as a man with also an Asian girlfriend I have experienced less severe but similar things like them referring to her as Kim jong-un and a dog eater etc. which I went ape**** about it of course. but if you really love your girl you will choose her because your family by the looks of it are two-faced racist trash.
Sorry but I think you’re a troll

If your parents dont like your girlfriend consider seeing someone else, definately family, dont betray your family just for some girl and if family dont like the girl that alone is indicating its not a good relationship. Focus more on being there for your parents since they are the ones who brought you into this world and focus on your friends as well.
(edited 4 years ago)
Why, recent events have made your strategy very easy to discern and apply. Simply point out that the Koreans are world leaders in dealing with the pandemic, and how much we Brits have to learn from them. Your gf hails from a super-race!

Even if you choose your girlfriend not sure how much longer she would stick around if you don't stand up to your family. It would be unpleasant enough anyway if she had to keep spending time with them knowing they don't accept her. You're 18, your parents have no reason to have strong opinions about anyone as you're so young and likely to go through several more relationships anyway. So this is not a good sign, especially teaching their daughter these values too. Sick stuff. Koreans have amazing qualities about their culture that should be admired rather than be treated this way. Of course your parents are caring and sweet to their kids, doesn't make their racism less of an outrageous thing.
That is not acceptable for your parents to behave like that.

You need to tell them that it is unacceptable and behave better.

So some family is ****, means they not deserve a good person like you and also your GF in their family, just think about what is the good thing your family have done to you, if there's a lot so just stick with your family and keep your gf away from your family. they're lucky it was your gf not me if they say that to me I will be like mad and say "Yeah it taste nice, it also taste like my ex-bf ***** sister as well" and they will hate me for the rest of their life. anyway if you still live with your parent just stay with them and keep you gf away like I said above, for me my family is everything but they never cross my line and we're quite close. anyway I'm not here to show off my family, I just try to say, stay with your family as long as you can and when you're ready just leave them and keep contact them. I think this is the best idea I can tell you. I forget to say that I'm Thai, some of my friend always joke at me about dog so I just tell them to shut their mouth and say that I'm not the country you know which one.
I'm surprised your girlfriend even stayed as long as she did. If someone was racist towards me from the minute they opened the door to me I'd probably have turned around and walked away. No idea why she allowed herself to go through a whole evening of racial abuse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending