The Student Room Group

Going to uni without maths GCSE

will I be like one of the only ones at uni without my maths at a C grade? is this normal?
(fyi I cant pass maths I got a D years ago and have been failing ever since. currently doing functional skills L2)
Original post by Gillzy
will I be like one of the only ones at uni without my maths at a C grade? is this normal?
(fyi I cant pass maths I got a D years ago and have been failing ever since. currently doing functional skills L2)

a lot of unis require a maths gcse at grade c or above to even apply
Original post by Gillzy

Most likely will be one of only a handful, that said nobody will know, I dont think what GCSEs people have will ever up come up & even if it did nobody would care.

DO you meet the pre-requisites for your course, thats the important question.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
a lot of unis require a maths gcse at grade c or above to even apply

Mine doesnt (Plymouth Marjon) and neither do others like UWE at least for journalism anyways. they only require at least MMM and english at a C which I have both at C grade.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Most likely will be one of only a handful, that said nobody will know, I dont think what GCSEs people have will ever up come up & even if it did nobody would care.

DO you meet the pre-requisites for your course, thats the important question.

Thanks for the responses and yeah I meet the requirements but Im just afraid ill be seen as stupid. its like the fourth lowest ranked uni in the uk as its more like a college but I still want to fit in.
Original post by Gillzy
Thanks for the responses and yeah I meet the requirements but Im just afraid ill be seen as stupid. its like the fourth lowest ranked uni in the uk as its more like a college but I still want to fit in.

I went to Marjon, and I can say quite confidently that no one will care.
Reply 6
So seen as you went marjon, whats it like? I mean did you live there and stuff? I also plan to live there and just didnt want anyone to think I was a bit behind aha?

Original post by PhoenixFortune
I went to Marjon, and I can say quite confidently that no one will care.
You can always resit your maths gcse if you want a higher grade
Reply 8
Original post by .unknown
You can always resit your maths gcse if you want a higher grade

Tried that 7 times. Didnt work ;>(
Original post by Gillzy
So seen as you went marjon, whats it like? I mean did you live there and stuff? I also plan to live there and just didnt want anyone to think I was a bit behind aha?

I think whether you enjoy Marjon depends on what you look for in a university/course (e.g. do you mind that the university is not in the centre of the city? Does Marjon offer more or less what you want in terms of facilities? Are you happy with the selection of societies? etc.). I didn't study Journalism there so I can't comment on that department. I also didn't live on campus at any point, so can't comment on the halls - although I know that new blocks have been built since I graduated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending