The Student Room Group

Should I change my name?

I’ve been contemplating changing my name to a more common name. I currently have a very unique name that most people have never heard of. The spelling in quite simple but it’s the ambiguity in how to pronounce it that leads to some embarrassing situations at times. Also I’ve noticed that whenever I introduce myself to new people, they tend to lay less attention to me once they learn my name. I guess they’re hesitant with saying my name and so they don’t bother talking to me. As a person who’s already naturally quiet and doesn’t talk much, it becomes harder for me to make friends.
I’m not emotionally attached to my name either since I have a different nickname that everyone calls me at home. But I’m worried about what my parents will think if I change my name since my dad is the one who named me.
I’m still 18 so it’s not like I’m really old and I want to change my name before I go to uni or start forming connections with people that will last quite long. It would be quite awkward if I changed my name after knowing people for a few years.
Since I’ll be getting a fresh start soon, I guess I should change my name. I’m not exactly sure what’s holding me back. Maybe it’s the fear of my parents disappointment or maybe it’s the fact that I will hold full responsibility for this name change.
Is there anyone out there who ever changes their name? How did you adapt to it? How did people around you adapt to it? Did life get easier for you? Did you notice any other changes?
Maybe, at first, you could try simply introducing yourself to people with the name you’d like to change it to. That way you’ll know how it feels to have that as your name before you make the permanent change... Just something I thought might help :P
People make mistakes with names all the time. I have a very simple surname but you wouldn’t believe the variations people come up with.
Embrace your uniqueness
Reply 3
Why'd u wanna change it to a more common name? That's boring :tongue:. Im pretty sure you have a beautiful name :h:.
Reply 4
Haha I definitely know how you feel. Get my name spelt a different way by everyone I've met, need to start making a list of the best ones. :woo:

I think it'd be boring to have a common name, be more embarrassing to hear your name called and have 5 different people turn around it not end up being you they wanted. A lot of people at my primary school had so many of the same names, got so confusing. Just embrace it! :P It'd be more effort to tell everyone that you have a new name than just correct people when they say it wrong anyways.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been contemplating changing my name to a more common name. I currently have a very unique name that most people have never heard of. The spelling in quite simple but it’s the ambiguity in how to pronounce it that leads to some embarrassing situations at times. Also I’ve noticed that whenever I introduce myself to new people, they tend to lay less attention to me once they learn my name. I guess they’re hesitant with saying my name and so they don’t bother talking to me. As a person who’s already naturally quiet and doesn’t talk much, it becomes harder for me to make friends.
I’m not emotionally attached to my name either since I have a different nickname that everyone calls me at home. But I’m worried about what my parents will think if I change my name since my dad is the one who named me.
I’m still 18 so it’s not like I’m really old and I want to change my name before I go to uni or start forming connections with people that will last quite long. It would be quite awkward if I changed my name after knowing people for a few years.
Since I’ll be getting a fresh start soon, I guess I should change my name. I’m not exactly sure what’s holding me back. Maybe it’s the fear of my parents disappointment or maybe it’s the fact that I will hold full responsibility for this name change.
Is there anyone out there who ever changes their name? How did you adapt to it? How did people around you adapt to it? Did life get easier for you? Did you notice any other changes?

I face the exact same situation and I've thought about changing my name but I actually really like it so I don't consider changing it anymore ,anyway, people will get used to your name so don't feel embarrassed or anything!I think that you shouldn't change it but if you have a big problem and would feel more comfortable by changing it then you should do it
Don't change it
what's your name
imo i wouldn't - people not pronouncing right occassionally is not a reason to give up your identity imo - your choice in the end though
My friend changed his name (it really was an ok name but he hated it) and it wasn't difficult to do. You have to download a deed-poll form online and get it signed by 2 professional witnesses. (he used solicitors but I think anyone could do it). Don't pay to have a company do it as it's a con, you can download the exact form yourself fro free! He then sent the signed deed-poll off to the passport agency with new passport forms filled out in his new name, a letter from his school saying that he will be called X from now on, a new bank statement showing his new name (bank just need to see the deed poll) and there you have it. He got a new passport and that was it! All you need to do is change your name with any banks, doctors etc by showing them the deed poll or your new passport. Go for it!
Is your nickname easier?
Maybe introduce yourself as that?
i didn't exactly change my name legally. I had some stuff going on and in order to have a 'fresh start' I changed my name a little and asked people to start calling me that. My parents are fine with it because I actually just added my first and middle name together to create a double barrel (as I said not really changing my name). I changed my socials to it too and although everyone still calls me my first name (its just easier isnt it?) they still write the full version down on papers and stuff. I'll be introducing myself as this when I got to uni and honestly I am really happy now. I needed something to seperate me from the past and I found that in the fun of having a pretentious sounding double barrel name :biggrin:
:woo:
hi I changed my name last year when I was 18. I had a full arabic name but I changed my surname to a European one. I'm a boy so the reason i changed my surname was partly because I was disowned by my family but the giving of a European surname was cause of white privilege. you know CV rejections and humiliating pronunciations and all stuff like that had just sickened me and I gave up fighting to make my identity fit in to UK culture. I hate it. i have no hope in systematic racism disappearing so if you're going to call me a coconut remember I did it for my grandchildren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending