The Student Room Group

I feel like I cheated on my boyfriend :(

So, my boyfriend and I have been together nearly three years. Our relationship has been rocky at the moment - he's been suffering with drug issues, money issues and subsequently mental health issues. I've stuck with him through everything. But recently he hasn't been very nice to me - shouting at me, being rude in general, having what I call "episodes" when he gets angry and punches walls etc. After his 3rd episode of the week, I told him the other day I wanted to go on a break. It was just too emotionally exhausting for me, especially because I'm in my third year at University and I just had exams. So I went home for a night. In a bid to make me feel better, my friends and I went to the pub. Big mistake. I got really drunk, I don't remember a lot. I have a male friend who I get on really well with - he has just broken up with his girlfriend and he told me he liked me. We were both drunk and just joking about. I don't like him back. I love my boyfriend but I guess I just felt confused, so I think I may have given the impression I also like my friend back. I don't remember a lot, I know we didn't kiss or anything like that. But I still feel really guilty about it. I want to tell my boyfriend what happened but I feel like he'll never forgive me. :frown: I do not like this other guy at all so I don't know why I acted the way I did and I just hate myself for it.
Hey, thanks for reaching out, it's not easy to do that, you're in a safe place.

You're in a hard place at the moment, and with all the things going on it's very easy to feel overwhelmed. Just to let you know it's ok to feel like that. I think you needed to have a nice evening out and being with friends gave you just that. I wouldn't consider what you said as cheating, you said you didn't kiss him, nor did you do anything else, perhaps he was just showing affection that you might not be getting from your bf.

With what's going on with him, I'd be very careful if you do tell him anything, he might not see it the way you do and could fly off the handles. I would personally not say anything, you just had a friend show some affection when you needed it, that was it. I don't think you need to worry about it in the slightest.

I hope he finds some peace and calms down, for your sake as well as his own. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you to deal with, on top of uni work.

So no, i don't think you cheated at all.

You're always welcome to ask for help here, no one is going to judge you.
Original post by Anonymous
So, my boyfriend and I have been together nearly three years. Our relationship has been rocky at the moment - he's been suffering with drug issues, money issues and subsequently mental health issues. I've stuck with him through everything. But recently he hasn't been very nice to me - shouting at me, being rude in general, having what I call "episodes" when he gets angry and punches walls etc. After his 3rd episode of the week, I told him the other day I wanted to go on a break. It was just too emotionally exhausting for me, especially because I'm in my third year at University and I just had exams. So I went home for a night. In a bid to make me feel better, my friends and I went to the pub. Big mistake. I got really drunk, I don't remember a lot. I have a male friend who I get on really well with - he has just broken up with his girlfriend and he told me he liked me. We were both drunk and just joking about. I don't like him back. I love my boyfriend but I guess I just felt confused, so I think I may have given the impression I also like my friend back. I don't remember a lot, I know we didn't kiss or anything like that. But I still feel really guilty about it. I want to tell my boyfriend what happened but I feel like he'll never forgive me. :frown: I do not like this other guy at all so I don't know why I acted the way I did and I just hate myself for it.

forget that night and continue with your life. You didn't cheat so I cannot understand why you feel what you feel. You just had fun with a guy, so?
Reply 3
Spending time with friends isn't cheating. Firstly, you should make sure it was clear to your friend that you do not like him that way, or he may get his hopes up too much. Secondly, you need to ask yourself if you really want to stay with your current boyfriend. Sometimes you have to be selfish about your own wellbeing.
Assess whether he'd be violent towards you or damage your property if you told him the truth. If there's a chance that he would you shouldn't tell him. You should leave him at your earliest convenience with as clean a break as possible.
Regardless of how much you love him, being attached to someone that would go off the rails in a situation like this is a recipe for you being unhappy for as long as you with him.

If he would remian calm enough, you should tell him. Hopefully he would then dump you. And you would be out of this relationship that has zero chance of a long term happy future for you. Leaving you free and single and able to find a boyfriend with whom you are compatible when it comes to your attidue to money and how you resolve conflict.

Love is great, but it's not enough. You need compatability in a few key areas in order for 2 people to be happy together. Without compatability there is zero chance of you having a happy long term relationship with him. The situation now for you is gruesome. It's not going to get better.

The money and drug issues combined indicate that he is an over-spender. If you are a saver or a spender up to your budget then you are incompatible with him when it comes to money.

The shouting and getting angry at you 3 times a week indicates that you are incompatible with him in how you resolve conflict. You would be more compatible with someone that is calmer and more tolerant when it comes to resolving conflict.
Reply 5
Original post by random anon
Hey, thanks for reaching out, it's not easy to do that, you're in a safe place.

You're in a hard place at the moment, and with all the things going on it's very easy to feel overwhelmed. Just to let you know it's ok to feel like that. I think you needed to have a nice evening out and being with friends gave you just that. I wouldn't consider what you said as cheating, you said you didn't kiss him, nor did you do anything else, perhaps he was just showing affection that you might not be getting from your bf.

With what's going on with him, I'd be very careful if you do tell him anything, he might not see it the way you do and could fly off the handles. I would personally not say anything, you just had a friend show some affection when you needed it, that was it. I don't think you need to worry about it in the slightest.

I hope he finds some peace and calms down, for your sake as well as his own. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you to deal with, on top of uni work.

So no, i don't think you cheated at all.

You're always welcome to ask for help here, no one is going to judge you.

Thank you for your kind words <3
Thank you for your kind words <3

Most welcome, anything to help :smile:
Reply 7

lol, seriously, don't feel guilty. you have no reason no.
Reply 8
You didn't cheat. So theres nothing you need to tell your boyfriend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending