The Student Room Group

Does this count as stealing?

So I know this sounds sketchy but hear me out.

I was passing a car park that has a clothing bank for a charity.
Apparantly there wasn't enough room in the bank so there were clothes on the ground.
I went over to take a look

(I thought it was a bit funny people would leave clothes on the ground)

I noticed this really nice jersey with a hood and in very good condition (don't know why someone would throw it away) and was really tempted to take it with me.

I didn't because I saw that it was for a charity clothing bank.

However based on some experience I have had volunteering in a charity shop I think there is a good chance they won't accept it because it had been on the ground.

During my time in a charity shop they only really accepted stuff that was ready to go out on the racks and threw the rest away as it was too much hassle to deal with to, for example, go to the effort to take a stain out of a top or wash something to make it smell better.

So is it stealing if I go back and get it in the morning?
Reply 1
It was donated so it could be worn by someone who wanted/needed it, so if you take it and make good use of it I personally wouldn't count that as stealing.
Plus if that many clothes are being donated it's doubtful a lot of them will be sold, and I imagine quite a few would just get chucked out anyway.

I can't speak to the proper legality of it, but I wouldn't say it's morally wrong. I mean, at least someone's using it?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I know this sounds sketchy but hear me out.

I was passing a car park that has a clothing bank for a charity.
Apparantly there wasn't enough room in the bank so there were clothes on the ground.
I went over to take a look

(I thought it was a bit funny people would leave clothes on the ground)

I noticed this really nice jersey with a hood and in very good condition (don't know why someone would throw it away) and was really tempted to take it with me.

I didn't because I saw that it was for a charity clothing bank.

However based on some experience I have had volunteering in a charity shop I think there is a good chance they won't accept it because it had been on the ground.

During my time in a charity shop they only really accepted stuff that was ready to go out on the racks and threw the rest away as it was too much hassle to deal with to, for example, go to the effort to take a stain out of a top or wash something to make it smell better.

So is it stealing if I go back and get it in the morning?

Yes, because you're depriving the charity shop of money that they could have got for the top, whether it was sold or went to a dealer for rags; clothes don't just get thrown away if there not suitable for sale, they can still generate income.
Original post by Surnia
Yes, because you're depriving the charity shop of money that they could have got for the top, whether it was sold or went to a dealer for rags; clothes don't just get thrown away if there not suitable for sale, they can still generate income.

Just for curiosities sake, is it still stealing when the shop never took possession? Thew law will likely cover the clothing bin, but things near it? surely that's different?
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Just for curiosities sake, is it still stealing when the shop never took possession? Thew law will likely cover the clothing bin, but things near it? surely that's different?

Yes, it's still stealing. The bank may have been full, which is why items were left alongside, and why would people put clothes there unless they were intended for the charity? The bin will be emptied at scheduled times, which is why the items will still have been there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending