The Student Room Group

How is it studying Psychology in university?

How is it studying Psychology in Heriot-Watt, University of Edinburgh
and the University of Aberdeen?
What other subjects can you pick up?
How much is the workload?
What's the best part of the Psych course and the worst thing?
Hi j0ell4,

My name is Daniel and I work for Heriot-Watt University. Sorry about the delay in this response but I thought it would be more beneficial for you to get a response from an experienced student. Our Year 4s are busy their second semester but one of them was kind enough to write some pros and cons of studying Psychology at Heriot-Watt in their experience!

First thing: If you have a keen interest in this subject, then this is for you! Sure, this is a requirement for most fields but studying psychology is genuinely a lot easier when you have a keen interest in the subject.

Best parts:
1) Everything you learn is very relatable to your everyday life. I say this is an advantage because it helps you understand the subject more semantically than just for the heck of it. This also helps when it’s time for revision.

2) Great professors: Our professors are not only highly qualified PhD and Clinical Doctorate holders; but they are extremely patient and supportive. You will not only see this in the first few classes of your first year, but you will be a lot more appreciative of this during your final year dissertation projects. Our professors also do their level best to ensure our lectures are not all dry and boring. They include lots of fun activities and do their level best to ensure that you are engaged in class.

3) Lots of inspiration: adding on to the previous point; you will find yourself being inspired by your professors and fellow students for everything they have achieved. In class, we rarely use a full textbook approach to things; rather; professors make it a point to introduce the research they have conducted themselves. Additionally, everyone in your class and the older students are very supportive. If you need further clarification you can always ask one of the final year students and ask them about the different topics, they are investigating for their dissertation projects. You are sure to find a variety of inspiring new research ideas.

4) Lots of resources: For psychology students, this will come in the form of the library and the online library called ‘Discovery’. This is especially handy for all the coursework you will be doing. Editors note: there are also a number dedicated experiment labs where Year 4s carry out their dissertation research project.

5) The entire course will teach you and give you insight on how it really must feel like if you were a professional in the field of psychology. Some courses towards you final year become increasingly more practical based rather than theoretical.

Cons:
1) In your first two years of the course, the subject is mostly theory based (but so are a lot of other subjects). This might be daunting to some people as it requires a lot of commitment to revise. Nevertheless, it is not unachievable. I myself, do not love the long lectures and extra reading every single time. However, as you go along the course you will get used to it.

2) Time management is key: As with a lot of other courses, time management is key. Your schedule in terms of classes may not be that stressful, but it is the homework that you have to manage well and be committed to.

3) Lots of research skills required: If you love research, this is a subject that is apt for you. Our course does include an intense training in research methodology and to many it is a walk in the park. However, for a few people, it is daunting. With research, it takes time to grasp the concepts and apply it. However, in time and with the right support this is not impossible. Also, if you love computers and statistics, then research is a subject for you!

I hope this was useful. We are having an Open Day in June if you want to come up to Edinburgh to learn more. Alternatively, we offer campus tours by appointment: https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/meet-us/guided-tours.htm

Thanks and best of luck with your search!

Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest