The Student Room Group

Do I need to do grade 8 for studying music?

I have applied to Edinburgh Napier for music and they want me to send in a video in which I "demonstrate practical music skills which equate to ABRSM Grade 8 or equivalent".

I'm currently doing only grade 5 for my advanced higher and some grade 6 stuff as well. I have some grade 7 and 8 pieces I'm now practicing but I only have a week until the video has to be in. Should I play my advanced higher music pieces which are only grade 5 or try and learn these grade 7/8 songs over only a week?
Try asking your teacher for advice, but if you can't, play the pieces you can play the best regardless of level. Maybe you can email them and tell them about your situation so they know. If you can play the grd 5 ones amazingly they're better than a bad grd 7/8 piece but if you think you can play the higher level pieces with good quality go for it.
Original post by notquitemytempo1
Try asking your teacher for advice, but if you can't, play the pieces you can play the best regardless of level. Maybe you can email them and tell them about your situation so they know. If you can play the grd 5 ones amazingly they're better than a bad grd 7/8 piece but if you think you can play the higher level pieces with good quality go for it.

It's meant to be two songs, so maybe a grade five piece and a grade seven? The 7 is slower and the 5 is quite fast so that also shows the contrast they want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending