The Student Room Group

Telling people it’s not the coronavirus

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rcmotorboy
Ah ok, yeah, with all the other posts, see a doctor and get some note with a check up for an assessment. I get in the same position. I walk down the street and people think I'm a drug dealer or may carry drugs when I don't take any drugs and I don't try to run around, taking photos or they think I'm a terrorist. So I don't carry anything dodgy and I don't run around across, pointing a camera around, so people can't accuse me of any of that.

Either that or tell them you can't get a check up because there's billions of you in the queues, since China population is over a billion. See a doctor but can't because there's billions of you guys queuing.

:biggrin:

Thank you for the advice haha! I’m living in England at the moment so I stick out like a sore thumb
Original post by FriedFish
Hello! So, I’m Chinese and I have a cough. People tend to think it’s the virus and I understand their sentiment haha, but it’s making my trips outside a bit awkward. How can I reassure people it’s not actually the virus and just a normal normal cough?

Lmao 😂 I had a cough too and people treated me strangely. I can’t imagine how you must feel
Reply 22
If you’ve not been to China or been in contact with anyone who has travelled there recently then just say that. (Although those British people got it in Singapore and France). If you have though, then get tested and show them the ‘negative’ papers.
Reply 23
Original post by Em.-.
If you’ve not been to China or been in contact with anyone who has travelled there recently then just say that. (Although those British people got it in Singapore and France). If you have though, then get tested and show them the ‘negative’ papers.

It’s a bit awkward in public or on the bus to tell each individual person and I kind of feel bad for scaring people, so I might buy a t-shirt or something like someone else suggested above. I might avoid going out too much for now. Thanks for your help!
Original post by FriedFish
Thank you for the advice haha! I’m living in England at the moment so I stick out like a sore thumb

Yeah, you could also say how if you had a fever and cough, you would stay at home and visit the doctors, just to ease the hysteria that's going on. Explain the reality of it really. Everyone is still naive, so that's just worth explaining to them. Like having any other cold and not going to school, like any other illness. It still sucks having to be the one to explain that. A bit unfair. I can relate to a bit of that. Hope they be nicer to you in the future if you said that or had the chance to say that. It will ease the tension, get them relaxed a bit. So long as you carry on the course and finish high school or college or whatever. I suppose that's what counts until the situation is under control.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m a half Chinese half British girl born here, and I experienced straight up verbal abuse when walking home from school today :awesome:

Hope your cough gets better soon! Xxx

Quick Reply

Latest