The Student Room Group

Applying for Humanities Access to HE diploma - how do I prepare?

Hi!

I am a mature student (30) and have almost finished my English and Maths Functional Skills L2 qualifications. I virtually dropped out of high school at the beginning of Year 10 due to mental health issues, only going back to sit my GCSEs, and was out of education until a couple of months ago, when I started studying for my FS.

It is my plan to apply to college to start the Humanities Access to HE diploma in September, but I feel that I am completely unprepared for the academic side of things, having been out of education for so long; plus, the setting in which I have been studying for my FS is very much take-it-at-your-own-pace, so I don't feel that this will be representative of the college experience.

So, my questions are: how do I prepare myself to start college? How can I try and make sure that I cope with the workload? Is there anything I could do before I start in September that would help?

Apologies for the long post, but any advice/personal experiences would be appreciated!

Jade
Original post by jabernethy
Hi!

I am a mature student (30) and have almost finished my English and Maths Functional Skills L2 qualifications. I virtually dropped out of high school at the beginning of Year 10 due to mental health issues, only going back to sit my GCSEs, and was out of education until a couple of months ago, when I started studying for my FS.

It is my plan to apply to college to start the Humanities Access to HE diploma in September, but I feel that I am completely unprepared for the academic side of things, having been out of education for so long; plus, the setting in which I have been studying for my FS is very much take-it-at-your-own-pace, so I don't feel that this will be representative of the college experience.

So, my questions are: how do I prepare myself to start college? How can I try and make sure that I cope with the workload? Is there anything I could do before I start in September that would help?

Apologies for the long post, but any advice/personal experiences would be appreciated!

Jade

Hi @jabernethy

It is great to hear that you are going to study for your Access to HE certificate.

You could ask the college to let you sit in a taster session if they have anything on? I would say that the biggest difference between learning ar your own pace and that of a set curriculum is that you should be more organised. In the first week set time in your day to do revision/essays so that you are completing all, you work in advance.

Hope this helps.

Dom :h:
Reply 2
What grades do you need
Original post by adam271
What grades do you need

Hey @adam271 :smile:

You will need Level 2 qualifications, in some cases including English and Maths before starting an Access Course.

I hope this helps.

Ashley :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending