The Student Room Group

how to get into paramedics... help!

Hi! I'm looking for some advice please, I am 26 years old and have finally figured out what I would like to pursue a career in.. Paramedics! I applied and unfortunately it looks as though I'm not going to be accepted into anywhere due to my qualifications.

I lived in New Zealand for 12 years and did all of my schooling there, my last year was year 12 that I completed then did a health science course later on to gain entry into uni.. This is apparently equavilent to NVQ level 3 and is not accepted in my applications here. I completely English up to year 12 and maths up to year 11 but have been told I do need have the equavilent to a gcse in English or maths here.

This is my question.. What do I need to get access? I've only found this out recently and want to make sure I take all the necessary steps to be eligible for entry.. I've looked online and what I'm thinking so far is doing a diploma of higher education in Paramedics. I'm thinking that I could also do functional skills in level 2 for both math and English alongside this.. What are your thoughts? Would this be the right path.
Also I would like to do these online as I work as a HCA in a hospital and it would work better for me around shifts.. Does anyone have an recommendations on online functional skills courses and just general advice?

Worried about taking the wrong route to getting in so all advice is greatly appreciated!
You can do something called an Access course which will get you where you need to be, you'll probably still have to do your functional skills alongside at whichever institution you study at.
I'd ask specific universities via email or during open days. If its just gcse equivalents that you need then access seems overkill. Im currently doing access and am starting in September, and its not too bad if you do need to do it, just manage your time well. Also, I believe access courses can differ in content and most uni's say in requirements how many science units are required out of the 45 units in total. But university admissions will tell you their specific requirements if you have a university in mind.
Reply 3
You could become an Emergency Care Assistant and then look to progress onto becoming a Paramedic. Emergency Care Assistants do a very similar job to paramedics and are a key support system for them. The NHS website which I'll link below doesnt specify any qualifications you need but most places want you to have done some relative work experience and seeing as your a HCA already that would be plenty. This would be great if you're struggling to get into a Uni course. The website is https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/ambulance-service-team/roles-ambulance-service/emergency-care-assistant

Quick Reply

Latest