The Student Room Group

Living with people at risk and university carrying on as normal

I live with 3 people who have diabetes and my mum has heart problems on top of that. The university (university of Derby) has told all students they should attend unless either they themselves are at risk or you or a family member have symptoms. They didn't say anything about living with people at risk, and my mum is panicking because she thinks she's going to die (which as an extension is bad for her heart, especially as she has anxiety). Do you think it's worth me contacting the university and not turning up to classes (obviously still go to exams)? Or will it be futile and I should just go in, scan my attendance, and leave immediately? The obvious answer is yes, the university will probably accommodate to my situation because it would be too much effort punishing me, but anyone at Derby uni right now knows how much they're cracking down on poor attendance.

The university has been saying being scared is no excuse to not turn up as normal if you have no symptoms. However they haven't specified what you do if you're living with people who are told by their doctors to self isolate to minimise the risk as much as possible. My friends are saying they're not turning up just to prove a point how asinine the whole mandatory lecture and tutorial attendance thing is since no one is even implying they wouldn't turn up to an exam. My parents are essentially locking me in the house (except my dad he thinks I should use my judgement) but as you know, being an adult and all that I make the executive decision on what to do. Will this be as easy as sending them an email and they reply "can do" or will I have to submit medical history and stuff which would require me to attend just to submit them in the first place? Also is it likely that they might change their minds about staying open because if there is that chance, it could calm my mum down and as an extension myself (I've told her it might change even though I myself think it won't change, which I regret in hindsight)

To sum up the situation of Derby University and attendance which started about January this year, more and more people are unimpressed by the quality of teaching because of teachers leaving which has resulted in lower attendance in general. The university are angry because it makes them look bad surprise surprise, and so they're making all attendance mandatory to every class with the only exception being illness with hard evidence. Usually universities just let people off with an email saying they have diarrhea or whatever but now they're serious.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by R.Shackleford
I live with 3 people who have diabetes and my mum has heart problems on top of that. The university (university of Derby) has told all students they should attend unless either they themselves are at risk or you or a family member have symptoms. They didn't say anything about living with people at risk, and my mum is panicking because she thinks she's going to die (which as an extension is bad for her heart, especially as she has anxiety). Do you think it's worth me contacting the university and not turning up to classes (obviously still go to exams)? Or will it be futile and I should just go in, scan my attendance, and leave immediately? The obvious answer is yes, the university will probably accommodate to my situation because it would be too much effort punishing me, but anyone at Derby uni right now knows how much they're cracking down on poor attendance.

The university has been saying being scared is no excuse to not turn up as normal if you have no symptoms. However they haven't specified what you do if you're living with people who are told by their doctors to self isolate to minimise the risk as much as possible. My friends are saying they're not turning up just to prove a point how asinine the whole mandatory lecture and tutorial attendance thing is since no one is even implying they wouldn't turn up to an exam. My parents are essentially locking me in the house (except my dad he thinks I should use my judgement) but as you know, being an adult and all that I make the executive decision on what to do. Will this be as easy as sending them an email and they reply "can do" or will I have to submit medical history and stuff which would require me to attend just to submit them in the first place? Also is it likely that they might change their minds about staying open because if there is that chance, it could calm my mum down and as an extension myself (I've told her it might change even though I myself think it won't change, which I regret in hindsight)

To sum up the situation of Derby University and attendance which started about January this year, more and more people are unimpressed by the quality of teaching because of teachers leaving which has resulted in lower attendance in general. The university are angry because it makes them look bad surprise surprise, and so they're making all attendance mandatory to every class with the only exception being illness with hard evidence. Usually universities just let people off with an email saying they have diarrhea or whatever but now they're serious.

I should clarify I have to take two buses to get to university. It isn't as easy as waking up, 5 minutes if walking, scanning in then going home. It's a minimum 3 hours of my day not including time spent learning so it's a little bit harder than "just turn up lol its not that bad"
explain your situation to the uni and I'm sure they'll offer some support

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending