The Student Room Group

COVID-19 Job dilemma

Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

So currently face with two major issues. The first is I'm currently in between work so therefore the time being I'm working in retail. My issue is my hours have been reduced and I lived on my own (so I pay rent in a share house) and today my manager call and told me that I might not have any shifts at all this or potentially the next coming weeks. My second issues is trying to find other job alternative like agencies and apps I can used to get immediate start roles (I've honestly trying). In light of the virus I truly think this might actually cost the country a lot money. Closing pubs, cinemas and coffee shops means that more people will go on benefits (as they don't have any other source of income). I want to work even if it's virtual, I hate being still for too long (I'm as we speak cleaning).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Goldenparadise
So currently face with two major issues. The first is I'm currently in between work so therefore the time being I'm working in retail. My issue is my hours have been reduced and I lived on my own (so I pay rent in a share house) and today my manager call and told me that I might not have any shifts at all this or potentially the next coming weeks. My second issues is trying to find other job alternative like agencies and apps I can used to get immediate start roles (I've honestly trying). In light of the virus I truly think this might actually cost the country a lot money. Closing pubs, cinemas and coffee shops means that more people will go on benefits (as they don't have any other source of income). I want to work even if it's virtual, I hate being still for too long (I'm as we speak cleaning).

Sorry to hear how this needless panic is affecting you. However thanks for posting. Your situation is exactly the kind of thing that people like me are warning about. Others who think I'm a heartless b*stard, who doesn't care about people dying, need to realise just how much grieve all the overreaction is going to cause: far more than the virus, ever will. You are just one of very many, and if this nonsense doesn't stop very quickly things will get a hell of a lot worse.
Reply 2
Original post by David Getling
Sorry to hear how this needless panic is affecting you. However thanks for posting. Your situation is exactly the kind of thing that people like me are warning about. Others who think I'm a heartless b*stard, who doesn't care about people dying, need to realise just how much grieve all the overreaction is going to cause: far more than the virus, ever will. You are just one of very many, and if this nonsense doesn't stop very quickly things will get a hell of a lot worse.

We need to treat and protect people but by issuing a blanket order on the country like shutting down all schools or businesses these problems become very prevalent.
Yes, it will cost the country a lot of money. But it's a way of reducing the number of deaths from the virus.
Original post by David Getling

Like I went to Tesco and Sainsbury and you literally had people spending £1000-£2000 on food of fear, and what's worst is that the store basically empty. Even my mum who's a nurse doesn't want to go to work and constantly talks about the virus.
Original post by black tea
Yes, it will cost the country a lot of money. But it's a way of reducing the number of deaths from the virus.

This might sound bad, most of the people who have died are either old or have long term conditions. I've heard someone at working joking saying they are trying to get rid of old people because they are the ones costing our healthcare sector.
This might sound bad, most of the people who have died are either old or have long term conditions. I've heard someone at working joking saying they are trying to get rid of old people because they are the ones costing our healthcare sector.

Old people are being told to self-isolate so they will be at a lower risk of getting infected. Your mum, and other health professionals, will more than likely get it it at some point though. The fewer other people are infected, the more likely your mum is to get an ITU bed should she need one.
(edited 4 years ago)

And you know the really funny thing. It's NOT the old people that are acting like headless chickens, it's those who if they get the virus would only experience very mild symptoms.

Actually, I met my 90 year old neighbour coming back from doing some shopping yesterday. He shouldn't have needed to, because he has a perfectly healthy daughter and son-in-law living with him, neither of who work, due to chronic laziness. Later, in Waitrose, I had a few words with another old chap. He had been through the war and was absolutely disgusted with the way people are behaving now, compared to then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending