The Student Room Group

Self-study advice from an experienced home-educator.

Hey. If anyone needs help with home study because of coronavirus related reasons (or just at all), feel free to ask any questions. Self-study isn't hard, it just takes a little organisation. I'm happy to help if anyone needs it. I did very well in my GCSEs two years ago and am working hard on A levels currently.
Original post by NiamhEgypt2001
Hey. If anyone needs help with home study because of coronavirus related reasons (or just at all), feel free to ask any questions. Self-study isn't hard, it just takes a little organisation. I'm happy to help if anyone needs it. I did very well in my GCSEs two years ago and am working hard on A levels currently.

What are your top tips for anyone reading?
Original post by Evil Homer
What are your top tips for anyone reading?

1) CIE do learner's guides which are condensed versions of the syllabus. Other boards will have something similar, or the syllabus itself is definitely worth looking at as it gives you an idea of exactly what you need to know. Especially good for revision.
2) Doing, and self-marking past papers is the other huge thing - it helps you think like an examiner and see what you are being asked to do.
3) Setting small daily goals, or keeping a time-sheet helps you keep focused and have a sense of how far through you are.
4) Working in 'slots' helps you do a a whole day of self-study without going insane! I tend to do 45 minutes on, followed by 10 minute break and try to take at least 1 longer break throughout the day. Working for long chunks without breaks doesn't help you focus.
Those are probably my best non-subject specific tips.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending