The Student Room Group

Feel like my degree was a waste of time

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
I’ve got around 6 months experience working as a cover supervisor in schools. I’ve also done an admin temp job at my old university. I was a team leader with ncs after uni as a summer job. I also worked various jobs during my degree including a catering assistant ect.

I sadly became unemployed as of last week, as I was working in a school as a cover supervisor through an agency but sadly the school closures mean I am getting no work through the agency and therefore no pay...

If you really have no idea what you want to do then get careers advice. In the meantime why not volunteer? A cover supervisor is not a teacher and can be soul destroying in the wrong school.
Original post by fefssdf
I’m constantly applying or things. Even today I applied for another audit grad scheme but I am absolutely terrified to complete the online tests based on my past performance

Have you looked into purchasing packs of those tests (numerical, verbal reasoning, etc) where you can practice them?

Like with any skill, if you're not good at something, you need to address ways to improve it. Just doing the tests again and again without taking measures will result in the same end result.

There are sites out there that offer those types of tests as packs where you can learn the right techniques and practice.

Good luck.
Don't waste your time purchasing psychometric tests etc. **** that advice.

I always tell people this so many times on here but they never get it until it actually sinks in. STOP applying to grad schemes and apply to direct entry level jobs at smaller to medium sized companies instead. Graduate schemes are extremely competitive and aren't worth all that energy.... you'll end up going to a AC where they are only 3 positions on offer and like 30+ people competing for it at the final stage. It's a waste of time because any little thing that you do "wrong" on the day goes against you and you end up spending so much energy for such little return.

Honestly its so much easier to just interview for direct roles instead but I cannot stress this enough HAVE A PLAN and don't just aimlessly apply for everything. You will actually find you don't have to go through all this b.s. psychometric tests etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by trapking

I always tell people this so many times on here but they never get it until it actually sinks in. STOP You will actually find you don't have to go through all this b.s. psychometric tests etc.

When I've applied for jobs - mainly in medium sized companies over the last 10 years - around half of the positions require aptitude tests. Of course such percentages can be sector specific.
Original post by ajj2000
When I've applied for jobs - mainly in medium sized companies over the last 10 years - around half of the positions require aptitude tests. Of course such percentages can be sector specific.

It's not rocket science it's quite simple.

Just avoid "big name" companies and you will avoid all those silly aptitude tests. Aptitude tests are used as filters because they get so many applicants. What a lot of graduates don't realise is you can always move to those big name companies a few years down the line once you've built up credible experience in your field. For example, don't waste your time applying to say Arup, EY, Airbus or Rollys Royce etc. as these are big name employers most people know and will apply for.

Smaller/medium sized firms are more bothered about your willingness to want to learn your trade and they will train you up just as well if not better than graduate schemes.
Reply 25
I was in a similar situation but I graduated from a dodgy uni from a dodgy subject and I just got an offer from PwC as a grad. I got rejected from EY and Deloitte before. I have been (sort of) looking for jobs since I graduated last November. I had applied to all sort of jobs not just grad schemes and all of a sudden I got offers for all the jobs that I had interviews and ACs with - I got a paralegal offer, BA cabin crew (although the offer has been withdrawn now due to coronavirus) and PwC! BA was my backup if I didnt get the PwC job but I think from my experience, all the interviews that I had has built up my confidence in talking to people and not be too nervous in front of the interviewers. It helps me understand what sort of personailty they want their staff to have! All the SJT, tests that I passed for other grad schemes were good practices too! I actually quite enjoy the AC experiences! Keep your chin up! You will get there!
Have you looked into the civil service fast stream?
Original post by Goldenparadise
I gave Op two options not necessary just teaching. At the moment he/she is unemployed, therefore they can doing something in the meantime. What's your suggestion? Because based upon the post that op made it's clear that stress and frustration is kicking in and sitting down doing nothing is only going to make it worst. I wish I had someone like to tell most of sixth form teacher how horrible they are forcing 17 years to go to university when half of them can barely obtain a post university job.

Agreed. Try and do something rather than sit at home and bang your head against the wall. The reality is , In my humble opinion, that University degrees are still valid, In the sense that the efforts, skills and methodology you have used to attain your 2.1 is what matters. If you can not land the big gig, somehow equivalent to your degree, your skill set will allow you to rise in a entry level job (provided you can deal with, the sometime hard labour). If you have a goal (land a gig with a specific industry and they initially shut the door in your face), keep applying, but meanwhile get a job, even stacking shelves at a supermarket. While in your job, work gaining professional qualifications (do as many trainings as possible )gain interpersonal skills that will definitely translate in your desired field. However long it takes, try to get into management in your job and really make a difference there. Once a team leader or supervisor with at least 1 years of experience, watch the doors opening slowly, in your desired field. Universities are a business and must generate a income, sad but there you have it. Your personal goals and your determination will give you your dream job, or at least your desired salary. I left school in year 9, scrapped the low level jobs and slowly but surely managed to work for American express, A big cable company in France, aswell as other medium to big companies. In my case I have just a ceiling and consider university, hence my presence here. I am currently a Deliveroo driver . Once I gain my Undergraduate and Masters , I will have a very unique set of skills to bring to the table
I am 41, married last month and life is just beginning. If I may, try to work out what you really want to do, if you can not answer that question (Which is fine), get a job, even a part time. You will definitely be able on a list of things you DO not want to do anymore, lol. To land employment can be very challenging , but do not dispair . My humble opinion. Good luck out there.
Reply 28
Original post by dsmith23
Have you looked into the civil service fast stream?

Yeh but I won’t be apply to apply for that until September 2020 now as it wasn’t on my radar last year
Reply 29
Original post by elleque
I was in a similar situation but I graduated from a dodgy uni from a dodgy subject and I just got an offer from PwC as a grad. I got rejected from EY and Deloitte before. I have been (sort of) looking for jobs since I graduated last November. I had applied to all sort of jobs not just grad schemes and all of a sudden I got offers for all the jobs that I had interviews and ACs with - I got a paralegal offer, BA cabin crew (although the offer has been withdrawn now due to coronavirus) and PwC! BA was my backup if I didnt get the PwC job but I think from my experience, all the interviews that I had has built up my confidence in talking to people and not be too nervous in front of the interviewers. It helps me understand what sort of personailty they want their staff to have! All the SJT, tests that I passed for other grad schemes were good practices too! I actually quite enjoy the AC experiences! Keep your chin up! You will get there!

Hey well done that is great news :biggrin:

I’ve still got some ongoing applications but at the moment things are on an indefinite hold cause of coronavirus...some companies are doing everything virtually but others won’t hire till they’ve met people face to face so there’s two processes I am in now which have been just paused for the foreseeable future. I’m also waiting to hear back for a job I applied for teaching English online which I did a video interview for last week. I’ve been told that I’ll get an answer within a few days so hopefully it is positive news but it sounds like they had a large number of applications so don’t want to get my hopes up too much!

I always tell people this so many times on here but they never get it until it actually sinks in. STOP applying to grad schemes and apply to direct entry level jobs at smaller to medium sized companies instead. Graduate schemes are extremely competitive and aren't worth all that energy.... you'll end up going to a AC where they are only 3 positions on offer and like 30+ people competing for it at the final stage. It's a waste of time because any little thing that you do "wrong" on the day goes against you and you end up spending so much energy for such little return.

Honestly its so much easier to just interview for direct roles instead but I cannot stress this enough HAVE A PLAN and don't just aimlessly apply for everything. You will actually find you don't have to go through all this b.s. psychometric tests etc.

Agreed.
Original post by Moussaillon92110
Agreed.

Why? I raised the point above that I have found them common in many sizes of organisation - especially for graduate level roles.. This seems horribly bad advice unless my experience is particularly unusual.
Original post by ajj2000
Why? I raised the point above that I have found them common in many sizes of organisation - especially for graduate level roles.. This seems horribly bad advice unless my experience is particularly unusual.

You were probably applying for graduate schemes rather than an entry level role at a small company where even older applicants can be present weren't you? That's not the norm for a lot of entry level roles at smaller companies.

Believe me I've been there doing what OP has done and in my second year of uni alone I probably did over 100 applications and played this game no joke. I have also interviewed at so many big name companies that I've even lost count now. I'm not a rookie at this and knowing what I know now thats why I try to help graduates on here with some wisdom that I wish I had much earlier. It would have saved me so much more time but I have no regrets because it made me who I am now :wink:
You were probably applying for graduate schemes rather than an entry level role at a small company where even older applicants can be present weren't you? That's not the norm for a lot of entry level roles at smaller companies.

No - I'm a middle aged Chartered Accountant working in industry so my involvement has been on both sides of the table. Its really worth knowing how widespread the tests are in sectors you are looking to work in. Very common in housing associations for example. Can't be too hard to find out whether London universities use them for entry level admin positions, or following that for career development roles.
Original post by ajj2000
No - I'm a middle aged Chartered Accountant working in industry so my involvement has been on both sides of the table. Its really worth knowing how widespread the tests are in sectors you are looking to work in. Very common in housing associations for example. Can't be too hard to find out whether London universities use them for entry level admin positions, or following that for career development roles.

Smh, is a London university a small sized business?

I rest my case.
Smh, is a London university a small sized business?

I rest my case.

No - but its a type of organisation that the OP is interested in.
Original post by ajj2000
No - but its a type of organisation that the OP is interested in.

Universities are businesses.
Whilst you are wating around, try and diversity your skillset. Start learning something new or at least try to. Make yourself stand out, don't forget to keep practicing and take feedback on board! It can take years to secure a good job with the desired career prospects. Just got to keep at it. Good luck!
Reply 38
Original post by Wick3d
Whilst you are wating around, try and diversity your skillset. Start learning something new or at least try to. Make yourself stand out, don't forget to keep practicing and take feedback on board! It can take years to secure a good job with the desired career prospects. Just got to keep at it. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice; recently I’ve been working on online courses and recently completed one in SQL which I found quite enjoyable.
I’ve also been trying to focus on maintaining good fitness during this time, in going for runs and doing home workouts which has kept me busy :biggrin:
Original post by fefssdf
Thanks for your advice; recently I’ve been working on online courses and recently completed one in SQL which I found quite enjoyable.
I’ve also been trying to focus on maintaining good fitness during this time, in going for runs and doing home workouts which has kept me busy :biggrin:

Good on you. Really hope you find what you are after. Keep safe and healthy. Prayers for everyone in here. May we all survive this pandemic, learn the lessons and make the world a slightly better place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending