The Student Room Group

Why does my teacher reply my emails after 10pm?

Aren't we supposed to email each other during a certain time period?
Original post by Anonymous

Well no? You can send an email whenever you like, it's entirely the other person's choice if they choose to read it, allow it to disturb them, etc. Unless you've been specifically told not to email at certain times (which I'd expect staff also adhere to), it's fair game.

There's plenty of reasons why your teacher may only be able to reply after 10pm. In reality they probably don't matter and it shouldn't be any of your concern though.
Maybe that's when they're most productive? I work better late at night.
They're a teacher so it's quite possible they're working for a lot of the period up to that time and emails are the last thing they do. Different people have different schedules - the registrar at the uni I work at signs off all her emails with a note advising "it is convenient for me to email out of hours but I do not expect others to do so nor do I expect a response out of hours", or something along those lines.
I don’t think there’s a ‘supposed to’ when it comes to structuring our work process as long as the job is done and it fulfils the purpose. People get things done in a variety of ways according to how it suits them best considering the circumstances.

I, for one, answer all the important and urgent emails directly. Yet, the ones which I should answer but don’t feel like answering at a given moment usually wait until the end of the night to receive one although I would’ve read them partially or in their entirety at the given moment. These ones might even be important but not displaying a sense of urgency.

Other people could be more systematic in refusing to even look at their emails during the day because it might distract them from the work they have at hand. While others feel the need to answer their emails immediately because they prefer an immediately clean, well-organised inbox.

Bottom line, there’s no ‘supposed to.’
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Perhaps they are busy doing all the stuff you dont do as a student up until that point, commute home, feed children, do bedtime routine, make tea, eat tea, wash up, tidy up random toys, do time critical prep for next days lessons, do important work related emails, realise how much other c**p is still in their inbox, get to yours, think "ok if I sort a few of these now I might have a bit more life tomorrow", drink red wine, watch half an episode of Mock the Week on Dave, go to bed ......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending