The Student Room Group

STP 2021 entry - (genomic counselling)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Anyone had an offer from Bristol? I'm not hopeful as everyone else's is updating 😫
Any interviews for London?
Well done to those who got interviews. I got ranked 26th so I am pretty damn sure I don't have an interview. Just happy to know where I stand really!
Anyone with an interview...can you let us know what the rank is out of? Because I believe you can see this, but shortlist reserve people can't.
The rank was out of 313!

Original post by science_runner
Well done to those who got interviews. I got ranked 26th so I am pretty damn sure I don't have an interview. Just happy to know where I stand really!
Anyone with an interview...can you let us know what the rank is out of? Because I believe you can see this, but shortlist reserve people can't.
Original post by Nethergate
Any interviews for London?

My interview is for Guys :smile:
Reply 85
Anyone got any interviews for Southampton?
Feeling very fortunate to rank 3rd, it's my third year applying too so feels apt! Good luck to everyone for their interviews as is such a tough year.
Original post by -sophia-
My interview is for Guys :smile:

Well done and good luck! Do you mind me asking your rank? I’d be interested to know if the London ones go first!
Original post by Beth Hughes
Feeling very fortunate to rank 3rd, it's my third year applying too so feels apt! Good luck to everyone for their interviews as is such a tough year.

Well done! Third times a charm!
Reply 89

A huge congrats to you!!!!

I ranked 49th and somehow on the shortlist reserve - not entirely sure why they thought it would be likely I'd get an interview all the way down here, it would make more sense to just rejct me lol.

Could you shed some light on your experience and studies? Just to see where I could improve for next year hopefully
Original post by Nethergate
Well done and good luck! Do you mind me asking your rank? I’d be interested to know if the London ones go first!

Thank you so much! I ranked 4th :smile:
Original post by notari
A huge congrats to you!!!!

I ranked 49th and somehow on the shortlist reserve - not entirely sure why they thought it would be likely I'd get an interview all the way down here, it would make more sense to just rejct me lol.

Could you shed some light on your experience and studies? Just to see where I could improve for next year hopefully

Thank you!
That's frustrating they'd popped you as reserve but it seems the majority of people were so I wonder if something weird had happened.

So I did up to level 3 counselling through college, and I've worked for a charity supporting mental health for the past 18 months. This in particular gave me crucial experience though determining appropriate support for referrals, supporting individuals directly, and working with different departments and teams. My studies are less focused on genomics but I did extra reading, did future learn courses and listened to podcasts.

I hope that sheds some light 😊
Hi everyone, I've ranked 21st and have ranked all locations so I have my fingers crossed for perhaps some of the less popular locations! Good luck to everyone who has received an interview. Where has everyone with an interview put down as their potential locations? :smile:
Thank you!
That's frustrating they'd popped you as reserve but it seems the majority of people were so I wonder if something weird had happened.

So I did up to level 3 counselling through college, and I've worked for a charity supporting mental health for the past 18 months. This in particular gave me crucial experience though determining appropriate support for referrals, supporting individuals directly, and working with different departments and teams. My studies are less focused on genomics but I did extra reading, did future learn courses and listened to podcasts.

I hope that sheds some light 😊

You've got some absolutely fab experience Beth and can clearly draw upon them well. I feel you are very well deserved of an interview so best of luck with it!

I do think they favour people from the more caring backgrounds (unfortunately for me!). I work as a band 6 Genetic Technologist and have experience shadowing Clinicians in our reproductive advisory clinics as well as the adult and paediatric ones. I felt that should count for something, unfortunately not though. My caring experience could only really come from providing telephone support for the University Nightline, a local carers association, and then doing voluntary work within the hospital to help patient's attend their appointments. Over the last 3 years, it probably worked out about the equivalent of 6 months of full time caring experience. But for someone with a genetics background like myself, it is very difficult to get that caring experience, without effectively quitting my job to work elsewhere and taking a massive gamble on applying to the STP again!

That being said, I am still feeling immensely proud to have ranked 26th! I thankfully have a Clinician in our clinic who is going to explore the in-service route next year for me as she is desperate for a genomic counsellor. It's always useful to point out that this is a viable route for some people.
Original post by science_runner
You've got some absolutely fab experience Beth and can clearly draw upon them well. I feel you are very well deserved of an interview so best of luck with it!

I do think they favour people from the more caring backgrounds (unfortunately for me!). I work as a band 6 Genetic Technologist and have experience shadowing Clinicians in our reproductive advisory clinics as well as the adult and paediatric ones. I felt that should count for something, unfortunately not though. My caring experience could only really come from providing telephone support for the University Nightline, a local carers association, and then doing voluntary work within the hospital to help patient's attend their appointments. Over the last 3 years, it probably worked out about the equivalent of 6 months of full time caring experience. But for someone with a genetics background like myself, it is very difficult to get that caring experience, without effectively quitting my job to work elsewhere and taking a massive gamble on applying to the STP again!

That being said, I am still feeling immensely proud to have ranked 26th! I thankfully have a Clinician in our clinic who is going to explore the in-service route next year for me as she is desperate for a genomic counsellor. It's always useful to point out that this is a viable route for some people.

Thank you.

It's not easy to get the caring experience alongside a job unfortunately, but telephone support and voluntary work is definitely worth while. And ranking 26th is brilliant!

All the best for future applications 😊
Reply 95
Those with interviews, Have you guys been give a date and time of interview? Or have you been in contact with someone from the Trust?
Original post by itm18
Those with interviews, Have you guys been give a date and time of interview? Or have you been in contact with someone from the Trust?

No not yet! Someone said something about them maybe getting our contact details when all offers are sent out? I think its another waiting game
Well done to everyone that got an interview!
any tips on how I could improve my chances for next year (short list reserve this year). I have a 1st in Human Biology Bsc at a Russel group University , with heavily Genetics focused modules and dissertation, experience in a HD clinic, voluntary work at a hospice, and have been working as an Imaging assistant HCA for 6 months. I also did a level 2 qualification in introduction to counselling, and have had experience volunteering with children with learning difficulties. Any advice would be amazing and greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by itm18

Not yet, which is a bit nerve racking!
Original post by itm18
I ranked 12th and got an interview got GC. Hope you all get your offers ! Good luck everyone

What locations did you put down, if you don't mind me asking? Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending