The Student Room Group

Am I in the friendzone forever?

Recently I expressed unrequited feelings for a boy I went on a few dates with, then he ended that, then we became best friends, then friends with benefits and now we're back to friends who aren't talking too much. I'm just wondering, have we been through too much for me to ever get out of the friendzone with him? Is there any chance that after a period of no talking, we could just start over? Or will he now forever see me as just a friend he slept with?

Scroll to see replies

there is always a chance that he sees you in a new light. Don't let your past history with him the way you down too much but remember to always have self-respect as he may subconsciously look to you as a second option, you don't want that just show him your true self and if he sees you for you then I suppose he may be the 'one'.
Reply 2
He has suggested some space for a while, so I might try to talk to him about it in a few months' time. Having said that, he keeps messaging me pointlessly even after saying we shouldn't talk, but doesn't always keep a conversation going.

Thanks for your response :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by superoreo.08
there is always a chance that he sees you in a new light. Don't let your past history with him the way you down too much but remember to always have self-respect as he may subconsciously look to you as a second option, you don't want that just show him your true self and if he sees you for you then I suppose he may be the 'one'.

Yeah, I think I might just give him some space for now, see how he feels after a few weeks of not talking, never know I might even be over him by then :smile:
Reply 4
It is strange behaviour, him being hot and cold is messing with my feelings. I think you may be right. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
It is strange behaviour, him being hot and cold is messing with my feelings. I think you may be right. :smile:

He only wanted sex
Reply 6
I did think that he was maybe doing it to keep me interested, I just don't like that I asked for space to get over him and he readily agreed yet still messages, idk.

We're 19, so still young yeah.
Recently I expressed unrequited feelings for a boy I went on a few dates with, then he ended that, then we became best friends, then friends with benefits and now we're back to friends who aren't talking too much. I'm just wondering, have we been through too much for me to ever get out of the friendzone with him? Is there any chance that after a period of no talking, we could just start over? Or will he now forever see me as just a friend he slept with?

It seems like your friend isn't interested in pursuing a relationship with you anytime in the future. The friendship seems to have changed for good. If you have feelings for him and things feel awkward, it would be better to step away from the friendship so you can move on.
Reply 8
Original post by Rock Fan
He only wanted sex

Yeah, probably. Although he's said because of my feelings he doesn't want sex anymore, so not sure why he's messaging.
Yeah, probably. Although he's said because of my feelings he doesn't want sex anymore, so not sure why he's messaging.

Well hes got what he wanted to he distanced himself but started to message you as others said to keep you as a back up thinking you will give him sex.
Original post by cheesecakelove
It seems like your friend isn't interested in pursuing a relationship with you anytime in the future. The friendship seems to have changed for good. If you have feelings for him and things feel awkward, it would be better to step away from the friendship so you can move on.

Yeah, things don't feel awkward at all but I do want to get over him I think. Just sometimes his behaviour sends me mixed signals and it confuses me, making it hard to move on :frown:
Yeah, things don't feel awkward at all but I do want to get over him I think. Just sometimes his behaviour sends me mixed signals and it confuses me, making it hard to move on :frown:

From what I have read, it seems like he doesn't want anything more?

It would be better to put some distance between the two of you in real life and on social media. Having no contact will help you think more clearly and move on.
From what I have read, it seems like he doesn't want anything more?

It would be better to put some distance between the two of you in real life and on social media. Having no contact will help you think more clearly and move on.

Yeah, he doesn't want any more. I am trying with the distance but he's making it difficult :frown: don't want to get to the point of having to block him, but may have to...
Yeah, he doesn't want any more. I am trying with the distance but he's making it difficult :frown: don't want to get to the point of having to block him, but may have to...

Blocking him might be the option to take. You mention earlier on in the thread you asked for space but he keeps messaging you? Seems like he isn't respecting what you asked for...
There's no such as the friend zone. Tell him straight how you feel
Blocking him might be the option to take. You mention earlier on in the thread you asked for space but he keeps messaging you? Seems like he isn't respecting what you asked for...

I think you may be right, I suppose I just worry about our friendship. But then, if he was as good as a friend as I think, I'd hope he'd understand :frown:

Thank you for your advice:smile:
Original post by Miss Maddie
There's no such as the friend zone. Tell him straight how you feel

What do you mean by no such thing as the friendzone? :smile:

I have told him how I feel and he doesn't return my feelings, but I guess I wondered if it was possible for this to ever change, or if he'll always see me as just his friend
What do you mean by no such thing as the friendzone? :smile:

I have told him how I feel and he doesn't return my feelings, but I guess I wondered if it was possible for this to ever change, or if he'll always see me as just his friend

People go from friends to lovers all the time.

The friend zone isn't an inescapable prison. It means you're close to the person. Not returning the feelings doesn't mean they don't love you. It means they haven't realised they love you
Theres now a freindzone for females now??
What's the world coming too 😂
Original post by Miss Maddie
People go from friends to lovers all the time.

The friend zone isn't an inescapable prison. It means you're close to the person. Not returning the feelings doesn't mean they don't love you. It means they haven't realised they love you

True, I guess I just worry that we've been through too much (like how our friendship started from a couple of dates and then we were fwb) for that to ever happen :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending