The Student Room Group

Which University

Scroll to see replies

going to ucl = more chance of going to hospitals/areas you want to go to, getting into a london hospital fy1/2 would be fab!
keele is in the countryside.. depends what you like! city? or country?
Reply 21
I am considering studying Human Biology and Medicinal Chemistry or Biochemistry and Medicinal Chemistry. I was wondering what would be better as I want to study medicine post graduate.
Reply 22
I want to study medicine post graduate and am currently choosing my undergraduate course. I am choosing between biochemistry and medicinal chemistry or biochemistry and human biology. What course would be more useful for medicine? Does any course improve my chances of getting into medicine?
You know undergrad is considerably easier to get into.... do that unless you've definitely got no chance.
Human biology
Reply 25
Thank you!!!! I’m worried though as people say medicinal chemistry is harder so it looks lazy if you’re doing human biology.
Original post by Lau2en _
I want to study medicine post graduate and am currently choosing my undergraduate course. I am choosing between biochemistry and medicinal chemistry or biochemistry and human biology. What course would be more useful for medicine? Does any course improve my chances of getting into medicine?

Any of those would be fine but bear in mind that medicinal chemistry isn't really a life sciences degree so if you intend on applying to a GEP which requires a life sciences degree you may run into difficulties.

I don't think any of them are directly useful for medicine - all of them will teach you how to think scientifically, analyse data, write up results and so on which are good generic skills to have, but biomed or human biology are not medicine-lite (despite how similar people think they are). The degree itself does not improve your chances of getting in: if the medical school asks for a life sciences degree then biology, biochemistry, biomedical sciences, genetics etc are all fine. If they ask for any degree then people will be applying with a background in law, history, languages etc alongside life science graduates and will be treated equally. No judgements are made about "laziness".

Final thing to say is that you're far, far better off applying as a school leaver if you can as GEM is very competitive.
Reply 27
Thank you!! I just think due to corona I won’t get the grades I need so this is my only option. But will biochem with human biology be fine.
I am planning on studying medicine post graduate either in the UK or US (hopefully US), I have to choose between three courses:
-Applied Medical Science (UCL)
-Biochemistry and Medicinal Chemistry (Keele)
-Medical Sciences 2 Years (Central Lancashire)
I was wondering whether any course was preferable for studying medicine later on, if any of the unis offer more support in doing medicine is the US and does what uni I pick matter or will they be more interested in my degree?

Thank you!!!!i

Hello there! I am really glad that you are considering Keele as an option! Unfortunately, I am not a Medicine or Biochemistry and Medicinal Chemistry student so I wouldn't know much about the courses at Keele. However, you can talk to current Keele students if you click on this link- https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/chat/
You can use that platform to talk to other Keele students who are doing Biochemistry or Medicinal Chemistry about what their experience at Keele is like!
Furthermore, I am not personally aware if the university actively helps students with postgraduate study. I think it depends on the school. This is something you can ask a current student about. I will also contact the schools with your query and get back to you on this. In the meantime, you can read more about the careers and postgraduate opportunities of the Chemistry and Biochemistry courses through the the following links,
https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/careers/destinations/futuredirectionreupload2020/lifesciences/Biochemistry.pdf
https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/careers/destinations/futuredirectionreupload2020/schoolofchemicalandphysicalsciences/Chemistry.pdf

I hope this helps! I will update you when I find more information on your query. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 29
Thank you!!!
Thank you!!!

No worries, I am glad I could help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending