The Student Room Group

Psychology or maths alevel

Hi I'm picking biology and chemistry alevel in hope to do medicine however I'm unsure for my 3rd alevel whether to pick psychology or maths I'm pretty good at maths but I want to know which alevel would be easier to do
It depends on what you struggle with. Psychology is a lot of information to learn, but maths is technically more complicated. If you're 'naturally' good at maths you'll probably find maths easier. It also depends what you enjoy.
I dont suggest taking psychology if you arent interested in it. I do suggest maths if you are pretty good but I dont if you dont enjoy it
I'd recommend maths (especially if you are naturally inclined towards the subject- though definitely possibly to do amazing without being a 'mathsy' person, you just have to put in more work but you could definitely end up doing much better than others in your class who have perhaps overestimated their ability). Although not essential for medicine, a lot of Unis prefer maths/physics to psychology and are more likely to give offers. However if you are super passionate about psychology go for it as you will get a good grade if you put in the work!
Obviously there are certain subjects that are more favoured but i medicine a lot of the time it is your UCAT scores/interview. I know someone who got into Dundee for medicine (which has imo got one of the best courses in Scotland, maybe the UK for medicine) and she did Bio, Chem and Music. So it doesn't actually matter too much.
Do both and drop biology, chem maths and psychology is a great combination for medicine. Maths is usually valued more than biology for medicine. And psychology gives you one essay subject rather than three science/maths subjects with bio chemistry and maths.
Like @OkThanksBye said, I would take all of them, and you can decide which to drop later on when you know what you’re good at.
All of those are good for medicine, and long as you have chemistry, you can drop whatever you’re not enjoying (or won’t do well at).
Original post by Mohamed3452
Hi I'm picking biology and chemistry alevel in hope to do medicine however I'm unsure for my 3rd alevel whether to pick psychology or maths I'm pretty good at maths but I want to know which alevel would be easier to do

I would do psychology and if your school does AS maths do that :smile: then if you end up doing really well in maths you could probably ask to do it as an a level

Hi @Mohamed3452!

If you are planning to do medicine at University, check on your chosen University websites whether Maths is a requirement or not. If it's not then definitely go with the subject you most enjoy. I did Psychology and got an A in it and I absolutely loved the subject. If you are good at remembering very specific things then you will most likely be good at it. One thing that really helped me get a good grade was also learning the structure of all the questions and how the examiner wants me to answer them.

Hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

I did both Maths and Psychology. If i was you, i would chose maths.

Psychology has too much content. Its not hard but you to memorize so much information. Its not that bad in the beginning but does get really boring.

Maths is just way better. When it comes to psychology, the examiners are more likely to mess up the marking then in maths.

Your gonna biology. You might be overwhelmed with the content if you add on psychology as well.
(edited 4 years ago)

Maths at a level is 50 times harder than gcse. I got an 8 at gcse and was on a D at my mocks. I do psychology as well and find it a lot easier however there is a shed load of content and is very time consuming. If you love maths I’d suggest maths but as medicine requires high grades I’d suggest psychology
Original post by grace.kavanagh
Maths at a level is 50 times harder than gcse. I got an 8 at gcse and was on a D at my mocks. I do psychology as well and find it a lot easier however there is a shed load of content and is very time consuming. If you love maths I’d suggest maths but as medicine requires high grades I’d suggest psychology

I got a 6 in GCSE maths lol and have been getting As in A level maths.

I wasn’t focused when doing GCSEs, I know I could have done a lot better.

I wouldn’t say 50 times harder lol. As long as you put in the work, you can do good.

Go for what you’d enjoy! Subsequently, you might find it a bit easier

Quick Reply

Latest