The Student Room Group

I can’t open up in a relationship

I’ve been speaking to this guy for a while now and we’ve really hit it off but i have a lot of trouble opening up to him about things. He’ll mentions thinks that have upset me in the past or things threat have happened recently and i won’t speak about it. He’s said he feels like i don’t trust him when i really do i just don’t know how to open up about my feelings. He’s told me stuff about his past that’s upset him and trusted me with it but doesn’t understand why i can’t do the same. I’ve never been able to openly talk about things that are upsetting me so when we talk about this sort of stuff i feel really uncomfortable and don’t know how to talk about it. I really don’t know what to do because i really like this guy and i don’t want to ruin anything because i don’t know how to open up and express how i’ve been feeling.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been speaking to this guy for a while now and we’ve really hit it off but i have a lot of trouble opening up to him about things. He’ll mentions thinks that have upset me in the past or things threat have happened recently and i won’t speak about it. He’s said he feels like i don’t trust him when i really do i just don’t know how to open up about my feelings. He’s told me stuff about his past that’s upset him and trusted me with it but doesn’t understand why i can’t do the same. I’ve never been able to openly talk about things that are upsetting me so when we talk about this sort of stuff i feel really uncomfortable and don’t know how to talk about it. I really don’t know what to do because i really like this guy and i don’t want to ruin anything because i don’t know how to open up and express how i’ve been feeling.

Start with telling him some small things, but let those things be open to conversation, let him ask questions to statements you make about the small things and take it in a direction that will let you open up as you please. As someone who has and is in a similar place as you I completely get it, the not being able to tell someone your past despite that you trust them so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending