The Student Room Group

does mum remarrying affect student loan

I have never met my dad so I live alone with my single mother. So I currently get a good maintenance loan. However my mother might be getting married next year and household income will double; however I am not related to him and he is not my step father and will not contribute towards my university. If they get married will his salary be taken into account for student finance?
If your mother is marrying him then legally he is your stepfather and yes, they will take his income into account.

From their website:

"If you’re supporting your child’s application, your household income is the combined income of you and:

your child
your spouse
your partner

If you’re married, Student Finance England will need your spouse’s income even if you don’t live together, or they’re not the student’s parent.

If you live with your partner, they’ll need to tell Student Finance England about their income even if you were not living together during the tax year being asked about.

If you’re separated or divorced, your child should tell us who they live with or have most contact with. If they spend an equal amount of time with both of their parents, they’ll be asked to pick who will support their application.

Remember, household income is based on your circumstances at the start of the academic year. This means that if you get married or start living with your partner before the start of the academic year, Student Finance England will need their details."
Yes, as far as Student Finance are concerned, your mum's expenditures (mortgage, bills) will be reduced because someone else is contributing, so they (unfortunately) don't really care if he wouldn't directly be giving money to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending