The Student Room Group

Uni Applications 2021

Hey there! Hope lockdown is treating you well. I’m a current year 12 student, and I’m struggling to pick Unis for 2021. I want to study business management, and ideally I want to study in London. What are the best unis in London for business management. Any pointers would be appreciated!! Thanks
My personal opinion would be:
1. LBS
2. Imperial
3. LSE
3. UCL
4. KCL
5. Queen Mary
6. Royal Holloway
7. Westminster

From this point on I’m not quite sure. SOAS is another good London uni however I’m not sure how well regarded their business management department is. Also you can look into uni’s that are close to London but not necessarily in London, much cheaper living and you’ll get more of a campus experience: Middlesex, Kingston, Surrey, Kent etc.

Honestly the most important thing is choosing a course that fit what you want to learn and what you find interesting, so don’t pick a uni solely on a ranking. Furthermore, the ranking above is my personal opinion in regards to business degrees, I think that a lot of people might agree with my ranking but there will be people out there who do not necessarily view it the same way. Some specific degrees can be valued higher at a different institution. Use rankings and people’s opinion as a starting point to where you are going to apply and what is achievable from your part and if you like the degree. When you get your offers pick the degree that interest you most if then you are stuck while trying to decide, glance over the ranking again and let that be a small factor, not a big one.

Final thing, if employability is very important to you I would recommend looking into that too and make that a bigger factor than a ranking.
I forgot City that one should be right in between KCL and Queen Mary I’d say.
hey, do you know what they are going to do with predicted grades for year 12s?? I have a feeling my teachers are going to predict me bad, something like BCC, ABC, ACC I am looking to do engineering at the Uni of Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick, these all require AAB.

what shall i do????

Reply 4
Original post by Stef1234
My personal opinion would be:
1. LBS
2. Imperial
3. LSE
3. UCL
4. KCL
5. Queen Mary
6. Royal Holloway
7. Westminster

From this point on I’m not quite sure. SOAS is another good London uni however I’m not sure how well regarded their business management department is. Also you can look into uni’s that are close to London but not necessarily in London, much cheaper living and you’ll get more of a campus experience: Middlesex, Kingston, Surrey, Kent etc.

Honestly the most important thing is choosing a course that fit what you want to learn and what you find interesting, so don’t pick a uni solely on a ranking. Furthermore, the ranking above is my personal opinion in regards to business degrees, I think that a lot of people might agree with my ranking but there will be people out there who do not necessarily view it the same way. Some specific degrees can be valued higher at a different institution. Use rankings and people’s opinion as a starting point to where you are going to apply and what is achievable from your part and if you like the degree. When you get your offers pick the degree that interest you most if then you are stuck while trying to decide, glance over the ranking again and let that be a small factor, not a big one.

Final thing, if employability is very important to you I would recommend looking into that too and make that a bigger factor than a ranking.

Thank you so freaking much this is so helpful!
Reply 5
Original post by burntspark
hey, do you know what they are going to do with predicted grades for year 12s?? I have a feeling my teachers are going to predict me bad, something like BCC, ABC, ACC I am looking to do engineering at the Uni of Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick, these all require AAB.

what shall i do????

I’m doing CIE a levels and this is what CIE Is doing:
Cambridge International carries out a standardisation process, combining data from the centre with other data, and awards final grades
Cambridge International will take data submitted by centres and carry out a statistical standardisation exercise. This exercise will use statistical evidence from the historical performance of your centre in the syllabus as well as global performance statistics.
We will do this to align judgements across centres, so that, as far as possible, students are assessed on the same basis and not unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged in the next steps of their education journeys.
The standardisation exercise will enable us to see whether the distribution of your predicted grades for June 2020
is what we would expect your candidates to achieve. This statistical standardisation process will not change the rank order of students within your centre. However, if the distribution of your predicted grades is not what we expect to see, then we will adjust candidates’ grades
so that the distribution of grades that we award matches our expectations.
The statistical standardisation exercise will mean that the grade we award to a candidate may or may not be the same as the predicted grade that you provide.
The statistical standardisation exercise also means that there will be no advantage gained by centres whose predicted grades are unrealistic. If the statistics show that your predicted grades are more generous than our expectation, we will adjust the grades of some or all of your candidates downwards. If the statistics show that your predicted grades are more severe than our expectation, then we will adjust the grades of some or all of your candidates upwards.
The greater the difference between your predicted grades and our expectations, the more candidates’ grades will be adjusted and the bigger the adjustments.
The standardisation exercise will not change the rank order of candidates provided by the centre.
You should retain the evidence that you have gathered to inform your predicted grades and rank orders. In some cases, we may ask you to send us the evidence you have considered in making your professional judgements. If we ask you for evidence, it is likely to be for a sample of your candidates, and we will identify the candidates whose evidence we would like to see.

I hope it helps in a sense! :smile:
Original post by KumailJ
Hey there! Hope lockdown is treating you well. I’m a current year 12 student, and I’m struggling to pick Unis for 2021. I want to study business management, and ideally I want to study in London. What are the best unis in London for business management. Any pointers would be appreciated!! Thanks

Hello!

So are you still in high school or are you close to your masters degree? I am asking because the best business schools do not have undergraduate programs and only masters so it would be helpful to know in order to give you the best advice :smile:

Cheers
Reply 7
Original post by Archeklain
Hello!

So are you still in high school or are you close to your masters degree? I am asking because the best business schools do not have undergraduate programs and only masters so it would be helpful to know in order to give you the best advice :smile:

Cheers

I’m in Year 12 right now so high school. I’m looking to study business at undergrad level. Any advice would be appreciate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending