The Student Room Group

RAF- life + career progressions

I have applied for the RAF but still unsure on which job to do. I want to go into either engineering or intelligence and was wondering if anyone knows what life is like in either career. I was also wondering about how long it will take to progress to corporal/sergeant and whether it was easier to progress in certain jobs in comparison to others. I have also heard that intelligence is quite admin based and that they essentially “scout” to find the people they want in intelligence. Please could anyone let me know if they have any information on pay/promotion and qualifications to do with these roles as you progress
Reply 1
Original post by T-Paige
I have applied for the RAF but still unsure on which job to do. I want to go into either engineering or intelligence and was wondering if anyone knows what life is like in either career. I was also wondering about how long it will take to progress to corporal/sergeant and whether it was easier to progress in certain jobs in comparison to others. I have also heard that intelligence is quite admin based and that they essentially “scout” to find the people they want in intelligence. Please could anyone let me know if they have any information on pay/promotion and qualifications to do with these roles as you progress

Payscales are available online, it's public information, it's also on the RAF careers site.

"What it's like" in either career is quite an open ended question, could you narrow it down a little more?

Yes, Int is more adminy based than engineering - you don't really take a spanner to a satellite photograph, for instance. But it's arguably more mentally stimulating. You'd have to decide what works for you, what motivates you.

No, they don't scout people. You're maybe confusing it with the old fashioned tap on the elbow that MI5 and MI6 recruiters gave to undergrads at Oxbridge universities in the 60s... That's not how the armed forces works.

Very very roughly, if you pass everything first time around, do well, show promise and potential, then you could maybe be looking at Cpl in ~5 years. Sgt could be about the same again, if not slightly longer. It's not just about your performance, but whether there are vacancies. But both those trades are pretty decent, so opportunities should be plentiful.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Payscales are available online, it's public information, it's also on the RAF careers site.

"What it's like" in either career is quite an open ended question, could you narrow it down a little more?

Yes, Int is more adminy based than engineering - you don't really take a spanner to a satellite photograph, for instance. But it's arguably more mentally stimulating. You'd have to decide what works for you, what motivates you.

No, they don't scout people. You're maybe confusing it with the old fashioned tap on the elbow that MI5 and MI6 recruiters gave to undergrads at Oxbridge universities in the 60s... That's not how the armed forces works.

Very very roughly, if you pass everything first time around, do well, show promise and potential, then you could maybe be looking at Cpl in ~5 years. Sgt could be about the same again, if not slightly longer. It's not just about your performance, but whether there are vacancies. But both those trades are pretty decent, so opportunities should be plentiful.

Thanks, I’ve tried looking at the pay scales online but I find there quite hard to understand with me not knowing specifics, and yeah Sorry about the very common question of “what’s it like” I meant more the comparison of day to day work in there and what to expect typically day to day. Also online it tells your pay for first completing phase 2 etc but not necessarily the amounts it can increase to over time without being promoted. I have my AST next month so I’ll be sure to ask more questions when I’m there. Thanks for your help
Original post by T-Paige

Hi

We advise everyone to apply for a role they really want to do as you could be doing it for a long time, so it needs to be right for you.

You've asked about two very different areas, engineering and intelligence, so you'll know basic differences yourself. One area will be very hands-on and technical, working on aircraft or vehicles or comms etc. The other is more based around information and the use of it for other purposes.

You will apply for the role, we don't 'scout' people. You will need to make it through each stage of the application process, interview, aptitude test, fitness test, medical etc. It's not just as straightforward as submitting your application.

Promotion is based around you and your performance, so your own promotion to Cpl and beyond will depend entirely on how well you do in each posting etc. Some trades have more promotion availability due to numbers within them, but it really will come down to you with regards to your own career path.

Qualifications you'll gain will depend on the trade and role. If there's something you require then you'll be put through the relevant course etc. You can also gain qualifications yourself throughout your career. There are learning centres on most stations where you can do courses in your own time.

Pay is available online. Yes, it can be confusing as certain elements will depend on the rank and spine that your trade is on, but the basics of the rank levels and changes in base salary are listed.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Based on anecdotal evidence, Int is one of the faster trades for promotion. I was on course with a bloke who made Sgt after 7 years. That said, he had been awarded an MBE off the back of his (very sneaky beaky) job. Of course, promotion runs in cycles based upon the demographics of the people within the trade, so you could have a few years of very quick promotion followed by a few years of tumbleweed.

In most trades (not just Int) it is certainly possible to do 3 years at each rank nowadays i.e. promote after every tour, but you have to put the work in, know what the promotion board are after, play the system and have a bit of luck along the way.

Quick Reply

Latest