The Student Room Group

Gap year

Has anybody done a gap year with a programme such as real gap experience or do most people go on their own. Can’t decide what to do!!
Original post by Chloe.may.jones
Has anybody done a gap year with a programme such as real gap experience or do most people go on their own. Can’t decide what to do!!

Hey! I'm currently on a gap year right now and I'll happily answer any questions for you!

For my gap year, I've been lucky enough to stay at home and therefore not worry about paying bills/rent etc. During my gap year, I've worked in a couple different sectors and gained a wide range of understanding in these different sectors. In the beginning, I worked at Tesco for a bit, which was hardddd, working in retail just wasn't for me and it made me appreciate what retail employees go through in order to serve us all as a community. All the heavy lifting was just making me too tired lol. Overall, I made some good friends which I think is an important thing with any gap year because there are times where you will get lonely without friends during your gap year. Making new friends is also part of the experience.

As of right now, I am working as a Research and Development Chemist and I am loving it! I really want to get into something lab/ research based in the future so I'm glad to be working as a lab chemist! Not to mention, the pay is quite good too compared to Tesco and I work fewer hours hehe :wink: So I recommend trying to find a job that is related to what you want to do in the future to make your gap year enjoyable and to make the time fly by as well.

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions :biggrin:
Reply 2
Umm really depends on the person and what they want.
Personally i went with doing it on my own, albeit using a tour company when visiting india.
Going on your own is much cheaper and allows you far greater latitude in what to do but at the same time you end up with a lot more responsiiblity on yourself in what you do, where you go from day to day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending