The Student Room Group

Help!

Hi all, applications for University start in September and i’m nervous about applying. I don’t want to aim too high if my grades are not capable of getting me into the best universities, What universities would you recommend?

these are my grades attained so far:
Re- A*
English lang- A
English lit- A
Music-A
History- A
Welsh-A
Drama- A
WelshBacc- B
Maths- C
Numeracy- C
Science- C
and my predicted for As is ABB/ AAB
i took sociology, law and english lit
hoping to study law at uni!!
Reply 1
Hi! First of all, good job! As someone who has offers from a few law schools, I hope that I can give you suitable advice!

Do you take the EPQ, or are you eligible for any contextual offers? It may lower your grade requirements, since Leeds and Sheffield normally have AAA entry requirements, but will lower it to AAB with an A in EPQ. Additionally, are you only applying to England, or are you open to applying to Scotland as well? Additionally, although these are your AS predicted grades, they might improve in the future if your teacher is willing to predict you a higher grade. How high of a prediction do you think you can get based on this? (For example, my teachers weren't willing to predict me much higher than my AS, though I know of a few of my year group who has jumped by approximately 1-2 grades)

Based on your grades, possibly:
Aberdeen
Dundee
Strathclyde
Lancaster
Manchester-- you would need to achieve AAA at A-Level, but they do not consider AS levels within their admissions process

These are a few of the options, but you just need to check out each individual uni website to see their entry requirements (note that some unis such as LSE and UCL needs at least a B in GCSE Maths). Some unis are more lenient than others in their entry requirements, but a Leeds representative who came to my school literally said "If you meet the entry requirements, and you have a decent personal statement, you'll get an offer.", if that gives you any comfort!

I was in the same boat as you, and this might not help much, but try not to be too nervous. As you're already set on Law, start your wider reading, make notes on whatever seems interesting, and start thinking about your personal statement. Feel free to ask any questions! :smile:
Original post by username240405
Hi all, applications for University start in September and i’m nervous about applying. I don’t want to aim too high if my grades are not capable of getting me into the best universities, What universities would you recommend?

these are my grades attained so far:
Re- A*
English lang- A
English lit- A
Music-A
History- A
Welsh-A
Drama- A
WelshBacc- B
Maths- C
Numeracy- C
Science- C
and my predicted for As is ABB/ AAB
i took sociology, law and english lit
hoping to study law at uni!!

Hi, your grades are sufficient to get you into a good uni, although obviously you are applying rather late for this years cycle. As you have taken the Welsh Bacc do you have a preference for somewhere like Cardiff or would you prefer unis in other parts of the country?

Maybe you could tell us something about what you are looking for in a uni (such as whether you prefer a city based uni or a campus uni, whether you prefer lively cities or quieter ones) and then people can make suggestions that fit your criteria.
Original post by hayzc
Hi! First of all, good job! As someone who has offers from a few law schools, I hope that I can give you suitable advice!

Do you take the EPQ, or are you eligible for any contextual offers? It may lower your grade requirements, since Leeds and Sheffield normally have AAA entry requirements, but will lower it to AAB with an A in EPQ. Additionally, are you only applying to England, or are you open to applying to Scotland as well? Additionally, although these are your AS predicted grades, they might improve in the future if your teacher is willing to predict you a higher grade. How high of a prediction do you think you can get based on this? (For example, my teachers weren't willing to predict me much higher than my AS, though I know of a few of my year group who has jumped by approximately 1-2 grades)

Based on your grades, possibly:
Aberdeen
Dundee
Strathclyde
Lancaster
Manchester-- you would need to achieve AAA at A-Level, but they do not consider AS levels within their admissions process

These are a few of the options, but you just need to check out each individual uni website to see their entry requirements (note that some unis such as LSE and UCL needs at least a B in GCSE Maths). Some unis are more lenient than others in their entry requirements, but a Leeds representative who came to my school literally said "If you meet the entry requirements, and you have a decent personal statement, you'll get an offer.", if that gives you any comfort!

I was in the same boat as you, and this might not help much, but try not to be too nervous. As you're already set on Law, start your wider reading, make notes on whatever seems interesting, and start thinking about your personal statement. Feel free to ask any questions! :smile:

Thank you for replying!
I think Scotland would be a tad bit too far away from home (i live in wales) and yes i take the EPQ equivalent which is Welshbacc and i am targeted an A for that and yes i am eligible for the most contextual offer i think due to my school being low progression and my postcode. :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
Hi, your grades are sufficient to get you into a good uni, although obviously you are applying rather late for this years cycle. As you have taken the Welsh Bacc do you have a preference for somewhere like Cardiff or would you prefer unis in other parts of the country?

Maybe you could tell us something about what you are looking for in a uni (such as whether you prefer a city based uni or a campus uni, whether you prefer lively cities or quieter ones) and then people can make suggestions that fit your criteria.

Thanks for replying, I would have preference in england with a good reputation uni and an average/good nightlife!
Reply 5
Thanks for replying, I would have preference in england with a good reputation uni and an average/good nightlife!

Possibly Newcastle, good uni and the best nightlife.

I’m biased to Northumbria but I know a lot of people don’t want to go to an ex poly and prefer a RG.

AAB/ABB.....my suggestions for some unis to research are Newcastle, Southampton, Cardiff, Exeter, Lancaster, Leicester & Liverpool - could also consider Leeds and Sheffield if you qualify for contextual offers as stated above
The Website 'What uni' is a good one. Put in predicted grades, what you want to study and it comes up with course and uni that will accept you with said grades.

The check out the websites of those unis, go on virtual tours (hopefully open days in the summer and autumn) and you will have a better idea by then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending