The Student Room Group

Friend but maybe something more but mixed signals?

This while post might just be my anxiety playing up but it thought I'd try and get some different views.

I'm a guy who's recently broken up with his boyf. So I thought I'd sign up for bumble as it has setting so you can look for friends or dates. I thought I'd have a look as I was intruiged. I could do with friends anyway as I don't really have any.

I matched with this cute guy on the friends side and we started talking just about lockdown and stuff and what we're gonna do when it was all over and it kinda turned into flirting. I asked him why he swiped on me and he said that he liked the look of me. He said that we were friends know and I was like that's nice that I've made a friend. Then he mentioned that I was his type which I wasn't expecting as he is stunning and I'm just a nerdy derp b*****d 😂.
We then started talking a bit naughty and he gave me lots of compliments and said he really wanted to kiss me which was a surprise because like he's really good looking and would not expect him to be so forward and I'm just sat there thinking I've hit the jackpot😂.

We did that for the first 2 days we talked and we even half agreed to go on a date once this was over which I couldn't believe my luck about.

But the past 2 days I've been messaging him to say good morning and stuff and he just doesn't seem interested. Like he messages a few times and then silence. I try and instigate conversations but he doesn't seem to reply. I don't know if I've done something wrong or he's busy but my anxiety is going crazy thinking that I've done something to upset him or something. Today he didn't even reply to my good morning message. If he's not interested he could had have just unmatched me and that would have been that.

So basically I'm just really confused as to what to do as I really want to get to know him better and talk to him more but he doesn't see interested or is busy? I was gonna leave it a few days before messaging him again but idek.

Thanks for reading 😝

Scroll to see replies

Lol don’t fret. This literally happened to me as well. Has happened a few times. I don’t have enough info of what you said actually said to him but rest assured that people on dating apps do it all the time. It is common courtesy to tell someone before just ignoring them but when you’re trying to get to know 5 or 10 different people, you don’t really keep up with that stuff

He also may have just found someone else who’s an easier catch IF he’s looking for just sex. Like why get messy if you’re after one thing ?

Or he could just be busy dealing with something else since it’s only been a bit.

I’d say give him the exact attention he gives you and don’t put yourself too much on a limb if he’s not really doing the same.

Also guys seem to like a chase so if you’re giving them too much at once, they get bored or uninterested and move on. I’ve had a guy told me I need to be more mysterious Lol *cue tears*

But yeah I get anxious easily too. I’ve been back and forth on this rollercoaster so many times that I’ve learn not to expect too much
Reply 2
First off I wouldn't wait a few days to message him back. It won't help your anxiety and it'll just mess with your mind.

Be direct, ask him whats going on and if hes okay. Maybe something has happened to someone he cares about during this difficult time? If this is the case then he knows that you care and that your thinking of him. If not then you gave him the chance to be honest and for him not to mess you about. No one needs those types of games right now.
Reply 3
Original post by Lau97
First off I wouldn't wait a few days to message him back. It won't help your anxiety and it'll just mess with your mind.

Be direct, ask him whats going on and if hes okay. Maybe something has happened to someone he cares about during this difficult time? If this is the case then he knows that you care and that your thinking of him. If not then you gave him the chance to be honest and for him not to mess you about. No one needs those types of games right now.

I've asked him when I message him if he's OK and stuff but he doesn't tend to answer back to that tbh so it just confuses the f out of me
Reply 4
Original post by Second_Beauty
Lol don’t fret. This literally happened to me as well. Has happened a few times. I don’t have enough info of what you said actually said to him but rest assured that people on dating apps do it all the time. It is common courtesy to tell someone before just ignoring them but when you’re trying to get to know 5 or 10 different people, you don’t really keep up with that stuff

He also may have just found someone else who’s an easier catch IF he’s looking for just sex. Like why get messy if you’re after one thing ?

Or he could just be busy dealing with something else since it’s only been a bit.

I’d say give him the exact attention he gives you and don’t put yourself too much on a limb if he’s not really doing the same.

Also guys seem to like a chase so if you’re giving them too much at once, they get bored or uninterested and move on. I’ve had a guy told me I need to be more mysterious Lol *cue tears*

But yeah I get anxious easily too. I’ve been back and forth on this rollercoaster so many times that I’ve learn not to expect too much

Like normally I'm not fussed with guys but he seemed to take a real interest me in me and called me nice things which I rarely get so the whole situation is just messing with my anxiety so bad
Original post by Anonymous
Like normally I'm not fussed with guys but he seemed to take a real interest me in me and called me nice things which I rarely get so the whole situation is just messing with my anxiety so bad

Don’t sweat it. Like someone else suggested, message him asking if he’s okay and leave it at that. Even if he seemed interested, he’s not worth stressing your head over if he’s ghosting you now. And if he really is going through something, he may not have the time or mentally be in the right place to converse with others.

Try speaking to other people. These things do happen, it’s common where they butter you up good and then leave you hanging.
Reply 6
Don’t sweat it. Like someone else suggested, message him asking if he’s okay and leave it at that. Even if he seemed interested, he’s not worth stressing your head over if he’s ghosting you now. And if he really is going through something, he may not have the time or mentally be in the right place to converse with others.

Try speaking to other people. These things do happen, it’s common where they butter you up good and then leave you hanging.

I messaged him yesterday asking if he's alright but I've not heard anything. He's been online cos he's changed his profile picture. I dont know he just seemed really interested and now I'm just kinda deflated because of it
I messaged him yesterday asking if he's alright but I've not heard anything. He's been online cos he's changed his profile picture. I dont know he just seemed really interested and now I'm just kinda deflated because of it

Don’t be. He was probably buttering you up to get into your pants. Sad to say but you might’ve been an easy target because he told you what you wanted to hear like boosting you. Like I said, it happens all the time on dating apps so don’t think you’re the problem. There are a lot of horn balls out there, more so now because they’re stuck at home with no action.

I’ve taught myself to give only the same energy I receive but hold no grudge. If he’s ignoring you then it’s his lost 😊
Reply 8
Don’t be. He was probably buttering you up to get into your pants. Sad to say but you might’ve been an easy target because he told you what you wanted to hear like boosting you. Like I said, it happens all the time on dating apps so don’t think you’re the problem. There are a lot of horn balls out there, more so now because they’re stuck at home with no action.

I’ve taught myself to give only the same energy I receive but hold no grudge. If he’s ignoring you then it’s his lost 😊

Like I wouldn't have minded cos I'm always up to go with the flow but I just thought he was genuine. Typical that the good looking ones are ********s. I just get too invested in people and then my mind and my anxiety goes in hand and makes me go crazy with thinking what I did wrong. Just annoying really
Like I wouldn't have minded cos I'm always up to go with the flow but I just thought he was genuine. Typical that the good looking ones are ********s. I just get too invested in people and then my mind and my anxiety goes in hand and makes me go crazy with thinking what I did wrong. Just annoying really

Haha yeah, I’m the same. So bad so that I always try to fix whatever I thought I did wrong and end up giving myself the short end. I also prefer directness but a lot of people find that deceit works for them especially if they’re trying to get someone who’s good looking. I’ve had a guy told me straight up I’m a cool girl but he’s literally an F boy looking to get laid and so won’t waste my time anymore since he could tell I wasn’t up for the same😂😂😂 I love that kind of honesty. And it’s not even only the good looking ones. The guys that don’t normally get anything use the opportunity to swing naive people under the guise of looking for something but no one giving them the time of day. There’s really no way around it Lol
Haha yeah, I’m the same. So bad so that I always try to fix whatever I thought I did wrong and end up giving myself the short end. I also prefer directness but a lot of people find that deceit works for them especially if they’re trying to get someone who’s good looking. I’ve had a guy told me straight up I’m a cool girl but he’s literally an F boy looking to get laid and so won’t waste my time anymore since he could tell I wasn’t up for the same😂😂😂 I love that kind of honesty. And it’s not even only the good looking ones. The guys that don’t normally get anything use the opportunity to swing naive people under the guise of looking for something but no one giving them the time of day. There’s really no way around it Lol

Yeah you're probably right. It just sucks cos lockdown is **** and I thought I had somone nice to talk to while all this is going on and have something to look forward to. I'm secretly hoping he's just busy and he is interested. I just need more friends me:smile:
Yeah you're probably right. It just sucks cos lockdown is **** and I thought I had somone nice to talk to while all this is going on and have something to look forward to. I'm secretly hoping he's just busy and he is interested. I just need more friends me:smile:

Yeah this lock down is getting to everyone. So it’d honestly be smarter to look for friends during this time instead of a relationship. I’ve given up for right now on dating apps. Tired of hearing “send nudes” 😭
Yeah this lock down is getting to everyone. So it’d honestly be smarter to look for friends during this time instead of a relationship. I’ve given up for right now on dating apps. Tired of hearing “send nudes” 😭

Thats the thing! I matched with him on the friend side and it turned into kinda flirty datey stuff. Its too confusing for my mentally messed up lil lockdown mind:smile:
Thats the thing! I matched with him on the friend side and it turned into kinda flirty datey stuff. Its too confusing for my mentally messed up lil lockdown mind:smile:

Lol same. Would be easier if people were more direct

Exactly. Just let me know your intentions and we'll go from there 😂. So annoying

Think I'm gonna give him a few days and I'll fob him off after that if he doesn't reply. I think that's fair
Think I'm gonna give him a few days and I'll fob him off after that if he doesn't reply. I think that's fair

Go for it. Anything with the least amount of regrets :smile:
Go for it. Anything with the least amount of regrets :smile:

Thanks for all your help. It's just good to get more opinions on a problem
Reply 18
I've asked him when I message him if he's OK and stuff but he doesn't tend to answer back to that tbh so it just confuses the f out of me

Maybe tell him you've noticed that he doesn't tend to answer you when your concerned about him? Let him know that he needs to be straight and honest with you about whats going on and how he is feeling.
Honestly there isn't much you can do. This is what some people do online, maybe they rethought things or didn't want to commit too far as you haven't even met yet. Honestly I wouldn't push too hard, it could just make things more awkward, there are loads more people on the app anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending