The Student Room Group

is maths a level important

I’ve heard that I should take the subjects I enjoy in a levels. But someone told me that I should take maths otherwise I won’t be able to get into a good uni and pursue a career which I like. I don’t know what to do in the future. I find psychology interesting and am thinking about taking it in a levels, and may take it in uni too if I like it. The problem about maths is I absolutely hate it and have been getting bad grades consistently in o levels and even failed in it a several times. I’ve never gotten an A in o levels, I only got a B once, and C very few times. I know that practising maths will make my maths better but I don’t like the subject at all and I know I will not enjoy it in a levels. I’m extremely confused as to what to do because a lot of people are trying to convince me to take maths but I don’t want to.
I had to pick between psychology and maths for my 3rd and I chose psychology bc I thought it was muchhh interesting and required way less effort.

You'll only need to deffo do maths if you think you might do something like an engineering degree. A lot of my friends took maths and now that we're applying for unis have realised they don't even need a maths A Level for their degree course, so it really does depend!!
Also, if u don't really like maths, you'd rather not take it bc u need to put in a lot of constant effort for maths and it'd be hard if its not something you particularly enjoy!! Xx
Yes you should 100% take subjects you enjoy and that are relevant to your future career. Although, subjects such as maths, English and the sciences are highly regarded in higher education, if you know what you want to do and don’t need these subjects then there isn’t much point in doing something you hate. A-level Maths is very hard and will be 10x harder if you hate it. If you’re interested in Psychology then look into some courses and see what they require, this way you can rule out what you don’t and do need. Also, bear in mind that you may change your mind about your career plans so maybe look at taking some other ‘facilitating subject’s’ other than Maths. Here’s a link that explains what they are https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices
It depends on what you do at uni but it wont limit you if you want to take psychology BA and for psychology BSc they'll want one science subject, which psychology counts but at some so do research entry requirements. Don't take maths if you hate it and it's enjoyable for you; I strongly suggest psychology if it's something that interests you
If you don't like maths, 100% don't take it. I did this mistake and I regret it badly thinking it was 'required', the time and energy and stress affected my two other subjects as well. Deffo take subjects you enjoy, you are likely to excel in those.
Don't do it if you don't enjoy it. I didn't do Maths A level and I got into Edinburgh and am now doing a Master's... None of my jobs thus far have required knowledge of maths.

You should be fine unless you want to work in a job that specifically requires a high level of maths.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
I study applied psychology at uni and didn’t have a good math qualification. I legit had functional skills along aside a diploma and I got in fine. Hope this helps and psychology is rather interesting and I can say those who took it in a level have an advantage when going to university.
Original post by styleman
If you don't like maths, 100% don't take it. I did this mistake and I regret it badly thinking it was 'required', the time and energy and stress affected my two other subjects as well. Deffo take subjects you enjoy, you are likely to excel in those.

PRSOM
DONTTT DOOO MAAATHSSS A LEVELLL

you hate it!!!!!
Don’t listen to others ok!
Plz

Do wat ur gonna enjoy otherwise ur wasting then 2 yrs and u r gonna hate it and dread it coz u don’t like the subject
100% do psychology. I was in the exact same position as you, then I chose to take maths and psychology at alevel, even though i did well in maths at gcse (i got a 7 (a)), i dropped it within 3 weeks. maths at alevel is ridiculously fast paced so if you can't keep up ow you will have an incredibly hard time at alevel. taking something you hate will not only be time consuming but may also dampen your motivation to do well in other subjects. psychology by far has been one of the decisions ive made, it's stilla. respected subjects even though it is nowhere near as hard as maths. i also don't know what i want to do at uni however at most of the unis im looking into, and keeping in mind im looking at prestigious universities such as lse and kcl, consider psychology as a science. maths will be no use to you if you don't want it at uni, which im assuming you don't want as you hate it anyways. even friends i have now who got a 9 at gcse (equivalent to higher than an A*), are struggling with a level maths.
A-level Maths is only necessary for certain degrees, namely most physical science and engineering courses, maths and computer science, and economics. A couple of finance type courses also require it, and some natural sciences courses also, but this varies a fair bit. If you aren't planning to apply to any of those degrees, there is no need to take A-level Maths. If you wanted to apply to one of those courses, you should consider that the requirement is not an arbitrary one and A-level Maths is a prerequisite for those courses because they are necessarily mathematical and will entail using A-level Maths and beyond throughout the course.

Quick Reply

Latest