The Student Room Group

Do I need to party to make friends?

I've just been added to a group chat with a bunch of people I'll be at uni with next year- which is great! Everyone seems lovely, but they're mainly talking about going out and partying and drinking in freshers week which isn't something I'd put much thought into before now. It's definitely not my scene, I have severe anxiety and while I'm okay in social situations generally, I can't hack being with drunk people or being in a situation where there's loud noise (like a club). Will my friendships suffer because I don't party?
Original post by geogol17
I've just been added to a group chat with a bunch of people I'll be at uni with next year- which is great! Everyone seems lovely, but they're mainly talking about going out and partying and drinking in freshers week which isn't something I'd put much thought into before now. It's definitely not my scene, I have severe anxiety and while I'm okay in social situations generally, I can't hack being with drunk people or being in a situation where there's loud noise (like a club). Will my friendships suffer because I don't party?

Hey @geogol17

You will be able to make friends with people like yourself if you join a society!
Find something you're interested in either a sport or hobby and join and you will meet loads of people!

Maybe If you feel comfortable with the people in the group chat you might be able to go on a few nights out or just hang out with them doing other things in the day or at weekends.
Don't worry about making no friends! There will be lots of people on your course you can talk to too :smile:

I hope this eases your worries!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by geogol17

Hi @geogol17

There are loads of ways to make friends at uni, so I wouldn't worry too much. You will meet new people on your course and accommodation. You can also join societies and clubs to make friends with those who have similar interests to you. I personally made most of my close friends through my course and my part-time job at uni. :smile:

Zaira :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
No. I did not go partying even once at uni or drink any alcohol. I met all my friends through my tutor group and made friends with people on my course and a couple in my halls.
Hey I've just finished my first year at uni and I too have severe social anxiety and so keep well away from partying.

I've made plenty of friends through societies, as has already been suggested, and through talking to people in my classes etc. so don't worry about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending