The Student Room Group

What's the army like?

Hi there,

I have considered in the last few weeks given the bleak economic outlook for the country regarding jobs etc what the army is like. I'm currently 17, doing pretty well at school, was intending to go to university but honestly not too sure now. I've been in the CCF before, found a lot of it boring, but I think this may be more to do with the school environment and who I was doing it with as opposed to the actual activities. What is it honestly like in this day and age, is it still very much for just people who can't get any other jobs, what are conditions like? I know the pay isn't exactly great. Just interested at this point. Thanks

oh btw right now my main interest is in the Grenadier Guards
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, if you've been in the CCF you'll have a small idea of what it's like in the military. However, the cadets is the cadets, and really you're just dipping your toe in the water. Why do you want to get into the Grenadier Guards specifically, and in what capacity? Soldier or Officer?

I understand your reasoning for thinking of joining the Army at this time, but as you rightly identify, the economic fallout from the current situation will be long and very hard. For every job type and sector. The military will not be immune, in fact it is highly likely the armed forces will be front and centre when the treasury and Dominic Cummings start looking at departments to swing their big axe against. Money does not grow on trees. Despite what recent events might suggest.

Sorry, buddy, you guys will be paying for this for decades.

I don't know what the answer is, but you may need a good degree to get the competitive edge for whatever role and sector you aim for. Do not make the assumption that an Army career will be the easy way out until things settle down. It may have been once (circa1950s), but these are different times.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Ikaruss
Hi, if you've been in the CCF you'll have a small idea of what it's like in the military. However, the cadets is the cadets, and really you're just dipping your toe in the water. Why do you want to get into the Grenadier Guards specifically, and in what capacity? Soldier or Officer?

I understand your reasoning for thinking of joining the Army at this time, but as you rightly identify, the economic fallout from the current situation will be long and very hard. For every job type and sector. The military will not be immune, in fact it is highly likely the armed forces will be front and centre when the treasury and Dominic Cummings start looking at departments to swing their big axe against. Money does not grow on trees. Despite what recent events might suggest.

I don't know what the answer is, but you may need a good degree to get the competitive edge for whatever role and sector you aim for. Do not make the assumption that an Army career will be the easy way out until things settle down. It may have been once (circa1950s), but these are different times.

Good luck.

I’m sorry but that is *******s, most regiments are extremely short in manning and probably even more so due to not training taking place for the last few months. It’s probably one of the most secure jobs you could have at the moment. It’s been massively undermanned for years so the last things they’re going to do is start cutting people who are already serving.
Original post by Ikaruss

Good luck.

Hi there,

Yeah, am aware CCF is different although I know it is a main route in.

The Grenadier Guards - partly out of tribute to my grandad who served in it, I like the idea of dual-roles as a guardsman and being in combat. I think some regular infantry unit would be mundane and at the other end somethign like the Paras seems pretty tough.

I have thought about an officer - because I could probably easily get in with a degree etc but feel like that's a bit like cheating and think becoming an NCO would be better? I don't know, as I said, I'm just re-orienting towards public services (was looking at police and fire before)
Original post by Hubb97
I’m sorry but that is *******s, most regiments are extremely short in manning and probably even more so due to not training taking place for the last few months. It’s probably one of the most secure jobs you could have at the moment. It’s been massively undermanned for years so the last things they’re going to do is start cutting people who are already serving.

Yeah, that's what I thought, they're very much struggling to get troops, I read they've just launched SAS recruitment. Also given the current climate I somehow doubt the government is about to be axing the armed services
Reply 5
Original post by Ferrograd
Yeah, that's what I thought, they're very much struggling to get troops, I read they've just launched SAS recruitment. Also given the current climate I somehow doubt the government is about to be axing the armed services

I wouldn’t worry too much about SAS recruitment, from what I understand (limited) there’s selection courses running frequently, always have and always will. I completely agree.
Reply 6
Hubb mate, never make the mistake of thinking politicians care about the armed forces compared to other public services. I accept there is under manning in many regiments, squadrons and ships. So? They may be trying to aggressively recruit, and there will be many pinch points that urgently require resource to fill, but the govt priority will be towards rebuilding the economy, not the military. CV19 has, in the blink of an eye, changed the national landscape for many years to come.

And in any case, what exactly do you think the army will be doing in the next 5, 10, 20 years? Post Iraq and Afghanistan there will be no appetite to commit blood and treasure to military adventures that the country can no longer afford.

If you want to believe differently, mate, crack on.
Reply 7
Original post by Ikaruss
Hubb mate, never make the mistake of thinking politicians care about the armed forces compared to other public services. I accept there is under manning in many regiments, squadrons and ships. So? They may be trying to aggressively recruit, and there will be many pinch points that urgently require resource to fill, but the govt priority will be towards rebuilding the economy, not the military. CV19 has, in the blink of an eye, changed the national landscape for many years to come.

And in any case, what exactly do you think the army will be doing in the next 5, 10, 20 years? Post Iraq and Afghanistan there will be no appetite to commit blood and treasure to military adventures that the country can no longer afford.

If you want to believe differently, mate, crack on.

Alright then, I guess you (a uni student I’m guessing?) much have a much better understanding of armed forces recruitment and job security than me.
Gotcha.
Reply 8
Original post by Hubb97
Alright then, I guess you (a uni student I’m guessing?) much have a much better understanding of armed forces recruitment and job security than me.
Gotcha.

:rolleyes: I'll let you read some of my TSR posts (back to 2010) to get an idea of my background! I think I have slightly more knowledge of military job security than you may think.

But you're right about one thing. I know nothing about current armed forces recruiting, other than the adverts are aimed at grabbing the tech savvy, fleeting attention span generation. I'm sure they are effective.

However, I do know a bit about political mentality (regardless of party colour) and sentiment, having lived through a number of defence reviews and swingeing cuts. In fact the last time the armed forces lucked in was 1979 when Mrs T awarded them a massive rise. Whatever her faults in later life, she knew it was a good idea to keep the military on side. I once met a Labour Defence Secretary prior to a flight over Baghdad (coincidentally with a member of the Hereford Gun Club). Two years later I met him again, and we had quite a good chat about things. Actually he was a genuinely nice chap who appeared to have great respect for the military. He lasted about 2 more months before moving on. There is no sentiment in the Palace of Westminster.

I wish you well for your future career (if a currently serving squaddie), and I hope you see out your contracted time. I just don't want the OP to think the armed forces will be a ringfenced rock solid job when the country goes into a deep recession. Unless the govt needs lots of bodies to quell the revolting public, or build more pop up hospitals.
Original post by Hubb97
Gotcha.

Original post by Ikaruss
:rolleyes: I'll let you read some of my TSR posts (back to 2010) to get an idea of my background! I think I have slightly more knowledge of military job security than you may think.

But you're right about one thing. I know nothing about current armed forces recruiting, other than the adverts are aimed at grabbing the tech savvy, fleeting attention span generation. I'm sure they are effective.

However, I do know a bit about political mentality (regardless of party colour) and sentiment, having lived through a number of defence reviews and swingeing cuts. In fact the last time the armed forces lucked in was 1979 when Mrs T awarded them a massive rise. Whatever her faults in later life, she knew it was a good idea to keep the military on side. I once met a Labour Defence Secretary prior to a flight over Baghdad (coincidentally with a member of the Hereford Gun Club). Two years later I met him again, and we had quite a good chat about things. Actually he was a genuinely nice chap who appeared to have great respect for the military. He lasted about 2 more months before moving on. There is no sentiment in the Palace of Westminster.

I wish you well for your future career (if a currently serving squaddie), and I hope you see out your contracted time. I just don't want the OP to think the armed forces will be a ringfenced rock solid job when the country goes into a deep recession. Unless the govt needs lots of bodies to quell the revolting public, or build more pop up hospitals.

Well then I’m sorry but I don’t spend half an hour looking through someone’s posting history before responding. That’s fine, but from where I sat it’s as solid a job as any you can get at the moment.
Reply 11
Original post by Schleigg

I've mellowed mate. Must be cabin fever. Hope all well with you!
Original post by Hubb97
Well then I’m sorry but I don’t spend half an hour looking through someone’s posting history before responding. That’s fine, but from where I sat it’s as solid a job as any you can get at the moment.

Where you're sat is Ignorance Street, Dumbville, a town in the county of Guessworkshire :fyi:

...unless you are suggesting that many other jobs might bin you off any second due to budget cuts. In which case, absolutely.
(edited 3 years ago)
Well given your posting history, you wouldn’t last in the army
Original post by Drewski
Where you're sat is Ignorance Street, Dumbville, a town in the county of Guessworkshire :fyi:

...unless you are suggesting that many other jobs might bin you off any second due to budget cuts. In which case, absolutely.

Wow, thanks for that. I don’t really see the point in insulting strangers over the internet but if that’s how you’re spending your lockdown time in the comfort of your sofa then by all means continue. Hopefully you’ll grow up one day. I’ve noticed you’re made over 34000 posts on this website over 12 years. I suggest you get a life.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hubb97
Wow, thanks for that. I don’t really see the point in insulting strangers over the internet but if that’s how you’re spending your lockdown time in the comfort of your sofa then by all means continue. Hopefully you’ll grow up one day.

When you're giving out duff gen that's not based on anything, it shouldn't be a surprise to get knocked back.

There are 3 current or recently serving officers in this thread and none of them have agreed with your assessment.

Take that as you wish.
I’m going to start laying down some cold hold truths because this thread is full of absolute rubbish advice and completely naive remarks.

My background I am a graduate from A decent university and spent 18 months going through the Sandhurst selection process of which I was one of few successful applicants. I was successful because I spent upwards of a year working on my fitness, reading up on current affairs, learning about the military, relearning English and maths and practicing problem solving. I also practiced UKCAT (UCAT I believe it’s called now) medical school exams until I was meeting med school standard as the reasoning tests are based off that. Anyone who says that you can get a degree and it’s easy to get into the Army is either naive or a liar. Success rates are less than 20% and those that even get into the selection process have been working their arse off for months or even years.

Somebody said that infantry was boring Paras is too tough and SAS is interesting... every officer gets the same training at sandhurst before they are selected for the infantry if they are good enough (that’s me being big headed as an infanteer but in reality every cap badge requires work and talent to get into). Paras are infantry, the only extra training they do is 2 weeks of P company- of which you are fit enough to pass if you have completed sandhurst. Talking about the SAS the way you were is ridiculous- they are on another level, and success rates of application is in single figures, and typically only the best apply. It’s great to have ambition but walking in to a recruitment centre and saying you are going to join the SAS is a sure way to give the lads in there a good laugh.

Please don’t think of the armed forces as an easy job. People who join are dedicated and motivated whether they join as an Officer or as a Soldier, Infantry or logistics. You get the point.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
I'm sure a few of you will have seen the thread on PPrune about the Defence Review 2020. It's been updated today with an article in The Sunday Times which suggests that the Cummings effect may have significant implications for the UK Armed Forces. Unfortunately I don't have access through the paywall (I'm more an Economist man myself), but here's a link to a post ( # 303) which has copied the full article.

For those of us who have lived through several defence reviews, we know that articles like this are deployed as a 'scoop' to leak left / right of arc discussions about what might happen. However, everything about this review, and Govt direction of travel, suggests that a rebalancing of capabilities, structures, organisations and therefore personnel, is likely.

There will still be a requirement for a sovereign military force, and a constant stream of young, fit, intelligent recruits, but the current manpower requirement will be even more squeezed in the future.

There are almost 150,000 more UK Tesco employees than service personnel in all 3 UK military forces put together (Full time active and reserve). Something to ponder.
Although unrelated to OP, the armed forces will definitely be in for cuts next year when the delayed 2021 foreign policy and defence review comes to light. I expect the Army to take a fair hit in this arena due to a lack of political appetite for “boots on the ground”. However it’s anyone guess which projects, platforms, capabilities or personnel are going to be sacrificed across all three to ensure the U.K. can start to make savings towards the incredible amount being borrowed by the government.

Currently the armed forces is a secure job but when we get to the other side of the COVID-19 and this review has been completed make no mistake there will be some bad news in there for some of us serving.

As for OP. The army is 100% not a job just because there isn’t anything else, all jobs in all three services require selection and training that unless you are motivated and actually want that job above anything else you aren’t going to be successful. If you are 17 and not sure what to do then committing to join the British Army for years isn’t the solution I would advise.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest