The Student Room Group

What level of education would you expect your countries leader to have?

Would you ever vote for someone who didn't get to university? Or who didn't graduate school?
Well everyone has to 'graduate' school school since education is mandatory to the age of 16. If the individual can prove themselves to be knowledgeable without going past like A-Level qualifications then I don't see why they can't be seen as in the same calibre as like every Tory MP that went to Oxbridge. Sometimes, experience is better than learning just theory and for an area like politics where its all about the people, there are skills that cannot be taught in lectures but from experience
Reply 2
Possibly to the former, although doubtful, and decidedly no to someone who dropped out of school.
if they proved themselves to be competent, then I don't care if they never went to school, I'd vote for them.
(edited 3 years ago)
For a leader of a country, a degree minimum.
If they had become an MP, because they genuinely had the right qualities and the public believed in them (and not someone put forward as a candidate purely so the political party in question can meet its diversity targets). Then if during their time as an MP, they had prehaps became a member of the cabinet and proved them selves to be outstanding. Depending on their policies, I would vote for them regardless of academic or formal educational background.
I do however think, that it would be very unlikely for someone who didn't achieve A-Levels to achieve this.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1611
if they proved themselves to be competent, then I don't care if they never went to school, I'd vote for them.

Given that few MP's with any form of education meet this requirement.. :wink:
Original post by Karisa96
For a leader of a country, a degree minimum.

On what basis? Are you of the generation that believes if you have a degree you are superior, and are obviously more intelligent...

Take teachers for example. All have degrees. I worked in schools for 5 years. Never have I met a group of people lacking in common sense so much.

Common sense & non technical skills > degree. Give me a PM with common sense anyday.
The most important thing for me would not be their level of formal education (or where it was), but that they had some experience of the real world, particularly worked in a business. This for me is one of the reasons why if I was a Tory member I would have chosen Jeremy Hunt not Boris Johnson.
Reply 9
Original post by barnetlad
The most important thing for me would not be their level of formal education (or where it was), but that they had some experience of the real world, particularly worked in a business. This for me is one of the reasons why if I was a Tory member I would have chosen Jeremy Hunt not Boris Johnson.

Define the 'real world' though? I mean whilst someone having worked in, say, sales or whatever might have experienced 'the real world' they would be utterly clueless on how to run a country. Same applies to those high up in big business, as Trump aptly demonstrates (although his business wasnt exactly 'big'). Whilst some skills may be transferable many of them are utterly unique to government.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending