The Student Room Group

Moving out in 3rd year of uni vs living with parents? Advice Needed!

Going into my third year of uni. My family live close to the uni but due to **** public transportation, it does take me approximately 40 mins to an hour to get to uni. I'm considering moving into private student accommodation in my third year, and I have applied to accommodation but I'm very undecided about what do. So let me explain a little about myself and why I have this dilemma. I come from a strict Muslim family and I am not religious. I moved out in my first year but because my mum refused to be my guarantor in second year I was forced to live at home. They have become used to me coming home late at night but the latest that I could respectfully come home is 10 pm. I also don't have to wear a scarf. I can be lazy and if i get overwhelmed with work, my mum is always there to cook for me. My first year of living in student accommodation was amazing because of the freedom but also terrible because I didn't take care of myself, lived on takeaway because the kitchen was dirty, and had to share a bathroom with 5 other people. the cons of living at home has been that I can't wear what I like, go clubbing with my friends easily without finding some kind of excuse, I'm always late to uni because the commute is terrible, and I have nowhere to relax if I have a seminar at 11am in the morning and then another lecture at like 4pm. The time gap is just too much and i can't go back home. My mum is also very judgemental about what i wear so I have to try and manoeuvre my schedule around when she's at work so I can leave the house wearing what I like without her commenting on it. Even then, I can't really wear dresses or skirts because there's a lot of Muslim family and friends in my area. If I want to wear something nice, I have to change on the way to uni. Ideally i should have moved out in my second year and then come home for the third to really concentrate on my studies. Also I'm trying to save up my maintenance loans but if I move out most of it will go towards living costs. I honestly, don't know how comfortable I'll be in student accommodation but I just wanna live at home and wear what I like when I go out lol and actually be able to go out with my friends without having to stress about what my mum says. That will never happen tho. I'm in a huge dilemma. I really need to do my absolute best next year as well because it's my final year and it counts as 60 percent and I also run a magazine at uni so I have a lot of responsibilities. idk whether the wise decision would be to move out or to stay at home.
I'd recommend living closer to campus. Maybe take a look at bursaries for financial support? 40 mins to uni and 40mins back will make it harder for high contact hour subjects, being involved in societies etc...

Look into meal prep when it comes to cooking for yourself
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
I'd recommend living closer to campus. Maybe take a look at bursaries for financial support? 40 mins to uni and 40mins back will make it harder for high contact hour subjects, being involved in societies etc...

Look into meal prep when it comes to cooking for yourself

I do get bursaries, the problem isn't finance, it's just me saving for the future. I have been saving a significant amount of my maintenance loans and I won't be able to do that if I move out in third year because most of it will go on rent and living cost, I'd only have a little left to save. So I'm not sure if I should be financially savvy and live at home so that I can invest my savings into something more valuable in the future rather than giving in to the instant gratification of being able to do and wear what I like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending