The Student Room Group

£495 4 day online course?!! (Architecture)

So I Recently got an email from the careers adviser from about STEM courses in various subjects that usually run in London but are now being held online during a four day course in August.
I was interested in architecture and the course sounded amazing - it offered Insight into the life, design process and job of an architect, training and design in digital modelling- you’ll create 2 unique buildings fitting client briefs using t latest online software and talk to professional architects to have their feedback and guidance.

Plus for the fourth day if you want to participate you pay an extra £145 which takes you to £495 to have personalised, tailored advice form architects about universities, how to best get into a great architecture uni and your future career prospects. You could also apply for work experience with them in the future.

But for an online 4 DAY course from your own desk price seemed unreasonable and extortionate for a 17-year-old six form student. It had great reviews but does anyone else think this is worth as an investment not your future as an architect? Or, could I find just as good advice and training for cheaper/ free... ?
Original post by Char, 6th form
So I Recently got an email from the careers adviser from about STEM courses in various subjects that usually run in London but are now being held online during a four day course in August.
I was interested in architecture and the course sounded amazing - it offered Insight into the life, design process and job of an architect, training and design in digital modelling- you’ll create 2 unique buildings fitting client briefs using t latest online software and talk to professional architects to have their feedback and guidance.

Plus for the fourth day if you want to participate you pay an extra £145 which takes you to £495 to have personalised, tailored advice form architects about universities, how to best get into a great architecture uni and your future career prospects. You could also apply for work experience with them in the future.

But for an online 4 DAY course from your own desk price seemed unreasonable and extortionate for a 17-year-old six form student. It had great reviews but does anyone else think this is worth as an investment not your future as an architect? Or, could I find just as good advice and training for cheaper/ free... ?

heyy im only in year 11 but ive spoken to lots of people about this and personally i dont think it's worth paying a penny for these things because at the end of the day at uni interviews what you'll be able to say is that you paid to experience a particular career. there are ways for free to get this kind of insight and also show initiative above paying for advice. for example, i emailed an aeronautical engineer and we have correspondence every 2-3 months, i ask her for advice, she gives me advice, i apply it and then email her back to update her. in this way you can find a mentor and get all the advice you would have had to pay for but for free. if you just explain that you're interested i'm sure anyone would be happy to respond and maybe even later you could ask your newfound contacts for work experience once everything hopefully calms down in which case you can get the best insight - i hope this helps! just try to email a few company contacts maybe check linkedin too xx also imo that price is extortionate for an online course especially the last £145, you could easily ring up a careers advisor and ask them anything for way cheaper xxxx
Original post by buoynancy
heyy im only in year 11 but ive spoken to lots of people about this and personally i dont think it's worth paying a penny for these things because at the end of the day at uni interviews what you'll be able to say is that you paid to experience a particular career. there are ways for free to get this kind of insight and also show initiative above paying for advice. for example, i emailed an aeronautical engineer and we have correspondence every 2-3 months, i ask her for advice, she gives me advice, i apply it and then email her back to update her. in this way you can find a mentor and get all the advice you would have had to pay for but for free. if you just explain that you're interested i'm sure anyone would be happy to respond and maybe even later you could ask your newfound contacts for work experience once everything hopefully calms down in which case you can get the best insight - i hope this helps! just try to email a few company contacts maybe check linkedin too xx also imo that price is extortionate for an online course especially the last £145, you could easily ring up a careers advisor and ask them anything for way cheaper xxxx

Thanks for your reply! Definitely agree. I was gonna do just that and email around. Lol if I emailed the architect who runs the course to ask for free advice 😂 I was just gonna send out as may messagas across social media etc. What you did is really cool and well done you 👌 that’s surely gotta stand out more on an application right?
Original post by Char, 6th form
Thanks for your reply! Definitely agree. I was gonna do just that and email around. Lol if I emailed the architect who runs the course to ask for free advice 😂 I was just gonna send out as may messagas across social media etc. What you did is really cool and well done you 👌 that’s surely gotta stand out more on an application right?

thank youuu, hopefully it would stand out though im not sure what im applying to, it might be completely unrelated seeing as im still in year 11 :smile: i hope it works out for you though, best of luck!! you've got this!
Thanks! And yeah I only just chose what course I want to do and I’m applying this year so your mind may definitely change😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending