The Student Room Group

Are these a good combination?

I am planning to take Art,Business studies,Graphic communications and IT.
Would these be a good combination of a-levels?
that hugely depends on what you want to do after A-levels. for something like graphic design or coding it would be good, but if you want to do something science related not so much.
If you want to go to uni, I would recommend doing a 'facilitating' subject (generally maths, any science, a language, geography and history) but it's by no means a requirement.
Reply 2
Do you have a particular career path in mind? Are you planning on going to university? And why do 4?
I haven't taken A-Level Art, but as far as I'm aware, 'Graphic Communication' falls under the same course as 'Art and Design'. I'm not sure that there's any benefit to having both, and you'd end up having to complete 4 separate projects on top of your other 2 A-Levels.
Original post by LI.C

Hey!
Art, Graphic Communications & IT are very connected which is great!
However, it is not varied, meaning it might limit your future career options if an artistic career doesn’t go to plan & you need to change your type of job to get more money to survive, pay bills etc.. (Not being negative, you are probably a fantastic artist, but it’s better to be safe than sorry).

Why business studies? Is it going to be useful to you in the future?
Even if you want to set up a business in the future a business A Level might not be nessicary as you can learn most of the stuff later. Also, after you leave school you might forget most of the content anyways?

If I were you I would consider taking what is know as a “facilatating” subject, instead of business. To broaden your options & give more variety. “Fascilatating” subjects include biology, geography, history ETC.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LI.C

Hey!
However, it is not varied, meaning it might limit your future career options if an artistic career doesn’t go to plan. (Not being negative, you are probably a fantastic artist, but it’s better to be safe than sorry as art jobs are veryyyy competative!)

Even if you want to set up a business in the future a business A Level might not be nessicary as you can learn most of the stuff later. Also, after you leave school you might forget most of the content anyways?

If I were you I would consider taking what is know as a “facilatating” subject, instead of business. To broaden your options & give more variety. “Fascilatating” subjects include biology, geography, history ETC. Employers & Russel Group universities value these A levels a lot as they have transferable skills, for example studying history for your A levels might make you understand historical context of art pieces better.
Reply 5
Original post by CrazyOne1
Hey!
However, it is not varied, meaning it might limit your future career options if an artistic career doesn’t go to plan. (Not being negative, you are probably a fantastic artist, but it’s better to be safe than sorry as art jobs are veryyyy competative!)

If I were you I would consider taking what is know as a “facilatating” subject, instead of business. To broaden your options & give more variety. “Fascilatating” subjects include biology, geography, history ETC. Employers & Russel Group universities value these A levels a lot as they have transferable skills, for example studying history for your A levels might make you understand historical context of art pieces better.

Thank you for replying 😊

To be honest I picked business studies as a backup in case as I still don’t really have a clear objective in what I want to do 😅
But is business studies it only useful in creating business?

Yes I didn’t consider doing history as well!
And I have also thought that I should change some things so if I would chose Art,History and IT would that be a good set of choices?

Again thank you for taking your time to reply to me 🤗
Yes they are in my opinion but it does limit you for unis. Are you planning to go to uni?

Quick Reply

Latest