The Student Room Group

MA offer at the Bartlett, should I defer?

Hey everyone, I have been offered an unconditional to study my Masters (part 2) at UCL, The Bartlett school of Architecture this year. When I first applied I was pretty sure I was going to defer anyway as I wanted to earn some money and to be totally honest I didn’t think I’d get in!
But now with everything going on with COVID-19, I am on furlough at my firm and I’m just so confused on whether to try defer my offer for a year and work (hopefully) or whether to just go back this year. I’m so unsure on whether to get my masters over and done with or earn some more money. Is anybody else in the same situation? Or have any advice? 😭😰
Original post by archiLk
Hey everyone, I have been offered an unconditional to study my Masters (part 2) at UCL, The Bartlett school of Architecture this year. When I first applied I was pretty sure I was going to defer anyway as I wanted to earn some money and to be totally honest I didn’t think I’d get in!
But now with everything going on with COVID-19, I am on furlough at my firm and I’m just so confused on whether to try defer my offer for a year and work (hopefully) or whether to just go back this year. I’m so unsure on whether to get my masters over and done with or earn some more money. Is anybody else in the same situation? Or have any advice? 😭😰

Hey, I also received an offer for a Master's at UCL Bartlett School (although I don't intend on going there), and I'll be starting a Master's in Sept.

A lot of people are thinking about deferring uni for a year because of the virus, but imo there's no value in doing so.

The downside is the loss of contact/networking with your fellow students, which is important, but imo, not remotely important enough to delay a whole year of your life.

Just my 2 cents
Original post by archiLk

Hello, I've come from a similar situation to you. I'm thinking as I personally do not see any value from working at home with online lectures, imo a waste of money. From what I understand, late Autumn to Winter experts are talking about a possible second wave (not sure which source I heard this from but there were mentions of the second wave being worse), so that has contributed greatly to my decision as that would mean minimum a whole term will be online.
Whilst I would love to go this year, the uncertainty of everything has made me a bit 'trapped'. This is a sucky situation, hopefully, we can recover soon.
Reply 3
Original post by evolvingarch
Hello, I've come from a similar situation to you. I'm thinking as I personally do not see any value from working at home with online lectures, imo a waste of money. From what I understand, late Autumn to Winter experts are talking about a possible second wave (not sure which source I heard this from but there were mentions of the second wave being worse), so that has contributed greatly to my decision as that would mean minimum a whole term will be online.
Whilst I would love to go this year, the uncertainty of everything has made me a bit 'trapped'. This is a sucky situation, hopefully, we can recover soon.

Hey, thank you so much for your response.

I’m thinking the same kind of thing as you, I don’t want to start my masters with online tuition. Hopefully there will be more clarity in the coming weeks about the UK’s situation, but judging by how things are going at the moment It’ll probably only get more confusing 😩.

Thank you again for your help/opinion!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending