The Student Room Group

Guys: Are tall girls 'intimidating'?

I'm 5'10'' and I'm not afraid to wear heels so am often 6'2''+ when I go out. I was having a conversation with a good girlfriend the other night about why I don't ever get chatted up. I'm frequently told I'm attractive, complimented on my hair and eyes etc but I'm never asked out. My friend said (she was quite tipsy so probably didn't mean it in a nasty way) that it's because my height is 'intimidating'. I understand that a lot of guys that are shorter might be put off but she meant guys that are taller too - ie they want someone who is significantly shorter than them and/or guys just don't like tall girls.
Do I need to find some basketball players or was my friend wrong?
Views please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If your height is holding you back, don't wear heels. It's not exactly Fermat's last ****ing theorem, is it?
a confident man is not intimidated by a tall woman. i'm 5'9" and taller in heels. i've never had problems with men. be happy you're weeding out all the insecure men by being tall.
Reply 3
Post a pic FFS
Reply 4
Fusion
Post a pic FFS

you tipsy too?
Mike_P
you tipsy too?

I was just about to say wtf you quoted yourself.
Reply 6
helen087
I'm 5'10'' and I'm not afraid to wear heels so am often 6'2''+ when I go out. I was having a conversation with a good girlfriend the other night about why I don't ever get chatted up. I'm frequently told I'm attractive, complimented on my hair and eyes etc but I'm never asked out. My friend said (she was quite tipsy so probably didn't mean it in a nasty way) that it's because my height is 'intimidating'. I understand that a lot of guys that are shorter might be put off but she meant guys that are taller too - ie they want someone who is significantly shorter than them and/or guys just don't like tall girls.
Views please!

I thin kmany guys tikn that taller girls dont want shorter thats not enough for them..
But I mean its not like dit does matter , or does it?
if u not used heels perhaps more would have guts to chat u perhaps... but people should do that anyways with some guts :smile: just perhaps show u areinterested in meeting people =)
Reply 7
I think men just like the idea of being taller, bigger and stronger...
ie the Dominant partner. A woman's height might slightly upset the balance, but it really shouldn't be a major problem.
Meh im 5ft 8/9 and still wear heels.

Tbh thinking if my height intimates a bloke is the last thing on my mind.
What?! I'm 5'11.5":cry:

I guess it would depend on the guy... but some girls who are short have said to me they wish they were tall but I certainly never wished I was short. Aesthetically speaking, tallness is usually desired. Take comfort in that you have the 'model thing' going on.

I think if a guy doesn't like you because you are tall, you're better off without them.
helen087
Views please!

Why wear massive heals if you're already so tall? Most tall girls I know tend to wear flatter or slightly flatter shoes for that reason.

I'm not tall (just under 6ft) but definitely like tallish girls (also like short girls mind you) but in my experience, girls go for guys that are quite a bit taller than them so yes, I probably wouldn't even bother trying to talk to a girl who's 6ft or more, possibly even taller than 5ft10.
tall girls are very very attractive
I wouldn't date a girl taller than myself.
Reply 13
helen087
Views please!

High-heels convert you from someone taller than 50% of the male population into someone taller than 80% of the male population. If your height is a problem, stop augmenting it. Duh.

cheese_fondue
a confident man is not intimidated by a tall woman. i'm 5'9" and taller in heels. i've never had problems with men. be happy you're weeding out all the insecure men by being tall.

I don't find anyone taller than me attractive, and it has nothing to do with 'insecurity'.
cheese_fondue

Yes weed out all the insecure men, weed out all those that don't think they're hot ****, weed out all those that have some kind of health problem, weed out all those that have some kind of defect, weed out all those that are boring, weed out all those that can't run 100m in under 15 seconds, weed out all those that are over 16 stone...

I like your attitude. :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Tall girls aren't "intimidating" per-se. But like if you said, you're attractive, then a lot of people will probably think you're too good for them.

I mean picture it, a tall beautiful woman strutting her stuff around. I certainly would be scared to talk to you.

But then again, I'm a social ******. So fair does :wink:
Anyone seen The Truth About Female Desire?
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/10/the-truth-about-fema.html
You can download it if you want but it was interesting to see how women choose their partners.

Have you ever noticed girls that always go for tall guys? Most people think it's only about "protection" and that's what's behind the attraction. Apparently it's a lot about how a girl perceives herself: if she believes that she herself is attractive/important, she will believe that she is worthy to be with a big/tall man.

That's why you sometimes see tall girls who don't mind being with shorter guys (although it's fairly rare): they're quite modest about their own dating value that they don't mind a shorter guy.
I haven't got a problem with tall women but I hate heels. Not sure why - I think it's probably for some strange ultra feminist reason about it being all about pleasing men.

Have always hated them though, them and excessive make-up.
Reply 18
I do find taller girls intimidating. Though that's probably because I'm not very tall myself.
Reply 19
helen087
Views please!

well, im personally around 6'1"-2", and a taller girl w/ heals might intimidate me ( one w/o heals on ...scare the crap outta me :p:), but that's me :smile: If it's holding you back, just don't wear them. Yes, it IS that simple :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending