The Student Room Group

Should I move to Australia?

I'm thinking I should move to Australia after finishing my BA this year, there's nice nature, I think the land is cheap so I can start saving up for a house and the people are generally friendly. What are the pros and cons of doing that compared to UK life? Also, do you think the pay would be better? i.e. more opportunities for career development?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm thinking I should move to Australia after finishing my BA this year, there's nice nature, I think the land is cheap so I can start saving up for a house and the people are generally friendly. What are the pros and cons of doing that compared to UK life? Also, do you think the pay would be better? i.e. more opportunities for career development?

do whatever you think it's better for you
Reply 2
Original post by Beatrice0302
do whatever you think it's better for you

i know
i know

i like LA and UK better
Reply 4
Original post by Beatrice0302
i like LA and UK better

LA is really fake for me

But I love the UK
LA is really fake for me

But I love the UK

B*tch watch your mouth
Reply 6

I think its brilliant - but:

- housing can be very expensive depending on where you are. Places with lots of jobs tend to be expensive

- cheap land is cheap for a reason - its semi desert.

- have you looked into visas? Its worth doing some investigation if that is something you are interested in.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
I think its brilliant - but:

- housing can be very expensive depending on where you are. Places with lots of jobs tend to be expensive

- cheap land is cheap for a reason - its semi desert.

- have you looked into visas? Its worth doing some investigation if that is something you are interested in.

I mean surely the houses cannot be more expensive than the UK? They're so expensive here and you barely get meters squared per pound.

I will have to look into visas and stuff, thank you!!

My dream is to build a house there in the forest near the ocean and commute to work. At least you can build houses! Here, its so hard... Since the land goes back to the Queen after 99 years
There's this BBC show called Wanted Down Under which observes families having the same debate as you - whether to move to Australia or stay in the UK. Maybe try finding some episodes of that to help with your decision making.
Reply 9
do you have Australian citizenship or will you need an employer to sponsor your right to live there?

google 'most expensive countries to live in'; Australia always comes up more expensive than the UK and i can vouch for that myself cuz i've lived in both places. of course there will be cheaper cities to live than others, but there's also probably less job opportunities.

Sydney is only fun if you have the money to enjoy it, maybe kinda like London(?). travel is by far more expensive than the UK, as Australia is extremely isolated from everywhere else. not all parts of Australia are hot all the time (namely anything down south). all that said, i know quite a few Europeans who went to Australia and never went back. i think it depends how much money you have. personally the history of the UK and travel opportunities make the UK trump Australia, but you can always try it out for a few years, assuming you have the right to live there.
Original post by Joleee
do you have Australian citizenship or will you need an employer to sponsor your right to live there?

google 'most expensive countries to live in'; Australia always comes up more expensive than the UK and i can vouch for that myself cuz i've lived in both places. of course there will be cheaper cities to live than others, but there's also probably less job opportunities.

Sydney is only fun if you have the money to enjoy it, maybe kinda like London(?). travel is by far more expensive than the UK, as Australia is extremely isolated from everywhere else. not all parts of Australia are hot all the time (namely anything down south). all that said, i know quite a few Europeans who went to Australia and never went back. i think it depends how much money you have. personally the history of the UK and travel opportunities make the UK trump Australia, but you can always try it out for a few years, assuming you have the right to live there.

That is a very interesting perspective. Thank you so much for sharing. So would you say that the quality of life is lower in Australia than in the UK? I have my eyes on Melbourne.
Reply 11
That is a very interesting perspective. Thank you so much for sharing. So would you say that the quality of life is lower in Australia than in the UK? I have my eyes on Melbourne.

would definitely say everything (shopping, rent, food) is more expensive in Australia, i suppose because it's so isolated it costs a lot to transport stuff there. Melbourne isn't quite as expensive as Sydney but it's still not cheap. not hot either, although maybe you like that. just saying cuz i think there's a misunderstanding of Australian climate.

as a Canadian i find the UK far more interesting place to live, but i mean if you've grown up here you're probably not impressed anymore that you have houses twice as old as Australia. lol
Original post by Joleee
would definitely say everything (shopping, rent, food) is more expensive in Australia, i suppose because it's so isolated it costs a lot to transport stuff there. Melbourne isn't quite as expensive as Sydney but it's still not cheap. not hot either, although maybe you like that. just saying cuz i think there's a misunderstanding of Australian climate.

as a Canadian i find the UK far more interesting place to live, but i mean if you've grown up here you're probably not impressed anymore that you have houses twice as old as Australia. lol

I definitely find the UK a far more interesting place to live but for the future, I think that wanting to live here and building a family is harder because you can't really buy big houses as people do in Australia. The houses here are definitely old and beautiful but cramped up and small. In Australia and America, I always see average families living in these huge houses but this could just be a media thing. Not sure
I definitely find the UK a far more interesting place to live but for the future, I think that wanting to live here and building a family is harder because you can't really buy big houses as people do in Australia. The houses here are definitely old and beautiful but cramped up and small. In Australia and America, I always see average families living in these huge houses but this could just be a media thing. Not sure

Average families can buy decent sized houses in much of America - not in NY or most of California though. In Australia its very tough, especially in Sydney.
Original post by ajj2000
Average families can buy decent sized houses in much of America - not in NY or most of California though. In Australia its very tough, especially in Sydney.

So the housing market in Australia is similar to the UK?

Do you they also have that law that after 99 years you lose ownership of the house?
So the housing market in Australia is similar to the UK?

Do you they also have that law that after 99 years you lose ownership of the house?

I think Australia might still have a funding/ tax system which makes the prices relatively higher but tax deductible. Nonetheless Aus and NZ are known as being a nightmare for young people buying houses. Very different from the days people moved attracted by affordable housing.

What rule that you lose the house after 99 years? You mean leasehold? I don't know - but its not really a problem here and I'm pretty sure its not an issue there.
Original post by ajj2000
I think Australia might still have a funding/ tax system which makes the prices relatively higher but tax deductible. Nonetheless Aus and NZ are known as being a nightmare for young people buying houses. Very different from the days people moved attracted by affordable housing.

What rule that you lose the house after 99 years? You mean leasehold? I don't know - but its not really a problem here and I'm pretty sure its not an issue there.

Oh that's good to know. Thank you for pointing out the change. I was under the illusion that is still the same.

Yes the leashold. How is it not a problem if something you buy does not pass down for generations to come but goes back to the government probably after 2 generations?
Oh that's good to know. Thank you for pointing out the change. I was under the illusion that is still the same.

Yes the leashold. How is it not a problem if something you buy does not pass down for generations to come but goes back to the government probably after 2 generations?

leasehold doesnt generally go to the government - there is normally a leaseholder. You have the right to extend the lease. It can be a bit expensive if the lease gets too short - you normally try to extend before 80 years - and you need to keep an eye on it. Not really a major issue.
Reply 18

in Australia i knew lots of people in their late-twenties and thirties who still lived with their parents because they couldn't afford a house (professionals to boot). one dude literally commuted 2 hours (one way) to work everyday because he was trying to save money by living with his parents. :eek::eek:

bearing in mind you can also have short term goals if you're thinking of Australia; you don't have to commit your entire life there. it might be good for some temporary fun. if anything, it's easier to travel to New Zealand.

i honestly don't care about owning a big home, but like i said i'm from Canada. everyone i know has a big home and i find that boring. lol
Reply 19

As an American, I can assure you we do not live in big houses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending