The Student Room Group

Help! A level options!

Okay, so my current A-level options are:
Bio
Maths
Chem
and my last subject is between Government and Politics or Psychology. IDK what to do, like everyone is telling me psychology makes more sense with my choices but everything you learn in it you end up learning in medicine either way (one of my career options) so should I do G&P to broaden my career choice or stick with psychology?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zai.ac0111
Bio
Maths
Chem
and my last subject is between Government and Politics or Psychology. IDK what to do, like everyone is telling me psychology makes more sense with my choices but everything you learn in it you end up learning in medicine either way (one of my career options) so should I do G&P to broaden my career choice or stick with psychology?

Just a precaution that A-Level Psychology is a lot of essay based stuff and if you are willing to do it then yeah you should, I am also going to do all the options for Alevel this September. Psychology would help with writing essays like in uni and also psychology is good if you are doing medicine.
It's fine to pick Gov and Politics if that's what you're interested in but Psychology would fit in well with your other subjects. Most universities require two sciences which you've already got for some science-related degrees. Just pick which you think you'll do well in imo
(edited 3 years ago)
Bio
Maths
Chem

its honestly up to you, your other a levels are very facilitating so opens up a lot of careers in the science area, I do politics and it doesn't really broaden your career prospects more than any other a level, as it and psychology are not the main facilitating ones. both of them are essay subjects which broadens your appeal a bit as your others are very step by step and analytical. go for what you think will interest you most. psychology makes sense with your options, but they don't have to make complete sense. I'm doing politics, maths and history which is a bit mismatched and I know people who are doing it, maths, music or classics, English and chemistry which also don't match up completely lol
Reply 4
Original post by Mastermind05
Just a precaution that A-Level Psychology is a lot of essay based stuff and if you are willing to do it then yeah you should, I am also going to do all the options for Alevel this September. Psychology would help with writing essays like in uni and also psychology is good if you are doing medicine.

Thanks! Just out of curiousity, feel free to ignore me, but are you attending a sixth form in London?
Reply 5
Original post by AM_TSR
It's fine to pick Gov and Politics if that's what you're interested in but Psychology would fit in well with your other subjects. Most universities require two sciences which you've already got for some science-related degrees. Just pick which you think you'll do well in imo

Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by Omgcobbly
its honestly up to you, your other a levels are very facilitating so opens up a lot of careers in the science area, I do politics and it doesn't really broaden your career prospects more than any other a level, as it and psychology are not the main facilitating ones. both of them are essay subjects which broadens your appeal a bit as your others are very step by step and analytical. go for what you think will interest you most. psychology makes sense with your options, but they don't have to make complete sense. I'm doing politics, maths and history which is a bit mismatched and I know people who are doing it, maths, music or classics, English and chemistry which also don't match up completely lol

Thanks! Do you enjoy politics or would you pick a different subject looking back at your choices??
Thanks! Just out of curiousity, feel free to ignore me, but are you attending a sixth form in London?

Why do you need another A level?
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Why do you need another A level?

The sixth form I want to go to prefers if you choose four in the beginning and if you can't handle it, or would prefer to, then dropping it for the second year. Besides, I like being an over achiever and I'm extremely indecisive.
Bio
Maths
Chem

In my opinion, I would say go for government and politics! Your A Level choices are already stem related and it would be nice to do a subject like government and politics, as it’s very interesting and different. As a Psychology A level student, the content is crazy !! I’m currently so behind and struggling as there’s so much to learn. Save yourself the hassle and go for g&p!!

Hope I helped!!!
Reply 10
Bio
Maths
Chem

If you enjoy and politics and you would rather do that then i would say to go with that over psychology!

I get that psychology fits in better but it’s nice to have a bit of variety, even just for you to have something a bit different. Also if you’re gonna drop it after year 12 then i doubt it would make that much of a difference. I’m starting engineering at uni and my A levels were maths, physics, RE (and hist in y12) and i do not regret that at all. RE obviously has zero relation but i enjoyed doing something very different to my other subjects and i know i wouldn’t have enjoyed doing say another science instead just for the sake of uni when i didn’t need that subject anyway.

So i would say just go with whichever you think you’ll enjoy the most.
Reply 11
Original post by Mariasekkar02
In my opinion, I would say go for government and politics! Your A Level choices are already stem related and it would be nice to do a subject like government and politics, as it’s very interesting and different. As a Psychology A level student, the content is crazy !! I’m currently so behind and struggling as there’s so much to learn. Save yourself the hassle and go for g&p!!

Hope I helped!!!

Thanks! My mum and my sister-in-law (who has a degree in psychology herself lol) are advising me againt psychology but all the doctors etc in my family are saying go for psychology and it's really torn me in two :/
Reply 12
Original post by e2002!
If you enjoy and politics and you would rather do that then i would say to go with that over psychology!

I get that psychology fits in better but it’s nice to have a bit of variety, even just for you to have something a bit different. Also if you’re gonna drop it after year 12 then i doubt it would make that much of a difference. I’m starting engineering at uni and my A levels were maths, physics, RE (and hist in y12) and i do not regret that at all. RE obviously has zero relation but i enjoyed doing something very different to my other subjects and i know i wouldn’t have enjoyed doing say another science instead just for the sake of uni when i didn’t need that subject anyway.

So i would say just go with whichever you think you’ll enjoy the most.

Thanks!!!
Thanks! My mum and my sister-in-law (who has a degree in psychology herself lol) are advising me againt psychology but all the doctors etc in my family are saying go for psychology and it's really torn me in two :/

Do what you want to do!! Family influences can be tough, but maybe in September take a class in psychology and one in government and politics and decide.
Reply 14
Original post by Mariasekkar02
Do what you want to do!! Family influences can be tough, but maybe in September take a class in psychology and one in government and politics and decide.

Definitely!!
Reply 15
Basically that 4th one is going to be a hobby for a year because whatever your plans are, they're not going to require either psychology or government & politics A-level. Unless you want to go for some degree course that involves a lot of essay writing but that would be quite a shift from medicine.
So make it one that you think you'll enjoy learning, that you won't dread when you see it coming up on the timetable.
Reply 16
Original post by Sinnoh
Basically that 4th one is going to be a hobby for a year because whatever your plans are, they're not going to require either psychology or government & politics A-level. Unless you want to go for some degree course that involves a lot of essay writing but that would be quite a shift from medicine.
So make it one that you think you'll enjoy learning, that you won't dread when you see it coming up on the timetable.

Thanks!
Bio
Maths
Chem

Don't do 4!
Thanks! Do you enjoy politics or would you pick a different subject looking back at your choices??

I really like politics, especially as there's been big events like elections and brexit recently. You understand the system a lot more which I feel is really important, and I def wouldn't pick a different subject
Reply 19
Original post by Kilolima
Don't do 4!

Hahaha I wish I could decide that. My sixth form is one of those extra ones that makes it compulsory to pick four in year twelve but then ends up suggesting you drop it in year 13 if they don't think you can handle it. :/

Quick Reply

Latest