The Student Room Group

Can anxiety cause fast heart rate and heart problems?

I am struggling with anxiety at the moment, I have been for some months where it has been up and down a bit but over the past couple of weeks it has progressed badly. I've been taking my heart rate sometimes, and just then I measured it as 99bpm. I'm feeling anxious and on edge but I've been feeling like this literally constantly for at least 2 weeks now, so my heart rate must have been this high almost all the time at rest.

Over the last few months I've been feeling anxious but it's regularly with sometimes it being worse than other times, or the anxiety is slightly less severe. I've measured my heart rate at these kinds of times and it's been around 82 ish which is bad considering I'm pretty physically healthy and exercise often but now I'm so worried about my heart rate.

Can anxiety cause anything like a heart attack? I'm 19 years old. I'm getting really worked up and I know it's not helping. I have transferred GPs and have to wait next week for an appointment, but I will definitely get one. Is this something I should bring up???? How can I calm down? I need to do uni work
I am not that educated with anxiety but I am pretty much aware that rapid heart rate could be a sign of an anxiety attack. please do mention it to your GP, also try things like journaling, just write down the way you feel, trust me it will make you feel better, try listening to meditation music, meditation can be really hard so instead of meditating try listening to calm music, if you can try meditating too, Just take 10 deep breaths. hope this helps x
Reply 2
Original post by Cupcakehugs
I am not that educated with anxiety but I am pretty much aware that rapid heart rate could be a sign of an anxiety attack. please do mention it to your GP, also try things like journaling, just write down the way you feel, trust me it will make you feel better, try listening to meditation music, meditation can be really hard so instead of meditating try listening to calm music, if you can try meditating too, Just take 10 deep breaths. hope this helps x

Thanks for your reply. I don't know why I didnt think of anxiety attacks, I'll definitely bring it up to my GP.

I've calmed down a little and am going to relax for a bit instead of doing the work.
I should try journaling! Thanks for the suggestion :smile:)
Original post by Anonymous
I am struggling with anxiety at the moment, I have been for some months where it has been up and down a bit but over the past couple of weeks it has progressed badly. I've been taking my heart rate sometimes, and just then I measured it as 99bpm. I'm feeling anxious and on edge but I've been feeling like this literally constantly for at least 2 weeks now, so my heart rate must have been this high almost all the time at rest.

Over the last few months I've been feeling anxious but it's regularly with sometimes it being worse than other times, or the anxiety is slightly less severe. I've measured my heart rate at these kinds of times and it's been around 82 ish which is bad considering I'm pretty physically healthy and exercise often but now I'm so worried about my heart rate.

Can anxiety cause anything like a heart attack? I'm 19 years old. I'm getting really worked up and I know it's not helping. I have transferred GPs and have to wait next week for an appointment, but I will definitely get one. Is this something I should bring up???? How can I calm down? I need to do uni work

You've been measuring your pulse a lot, haven't you...

This, in itself, is going to make your anxiety worse. Please try to stop doing it. You've already said you have generalised anxiety, and now you've added unnecessary worry about your HR to this.

It's really extremely unlikely that you'd have any sort of coronary 'event' at 19-years old. Your HR probably isn't symptomatic of some impending heart attack: it's symptomatic of your anxiety levels and the fact that you get in a tizz, measure your pulse and find it high, which then gets you in a bigger tizz...and then two minutes later your measuring your pulse again...etc...etc.

You say you've recently transferred GPs - did your previous GP know about your anxiety and were you having any treatment for it?

Quick Reply

Latest