The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
-Em-
Where did all of the amateur psychologists suddenly appear from?

And more to the point, when's the next train back?

Please stop discussing psychological issues as if they relied solely on physical possibility, it's ignorant and damaging.

confused.com_ what? _ talk english:yep:
Lychee
Yeah I know what you mean but I guess it is an emotional shortcut for expressing the emotions that she has heard rape victims expressing etc. An analagy and i think a valid one but it is difficult around such an emotive topic, I mean if someone who had fallen and hurt themselves badly said "I feel like i've been in a car crash" then we would know that they were not saying that they had been, or taking away from the experiences of those who had, just trying to find a way to express what they are feeling. And this is how the word is being used here. Thats why I think it is a valid use of the word.

And of course media coverage of rape hasn't helped the case. the tabloid media seems to be actively against women who have been raped and are taking the country with them. Thats why they report massively on the 1 or 2 women a year who make false allegations and ignore the hundreds of women each month who suffer. If the conviction rate for any other crime was 5% the media would be screaming!

Anyway sorry about the off topicness op, I thik you need to talk frankly to your b/f and decide how you feel about it all. If you do stay in the relationship then maybe you need to work with him to express what you want in bed and let him know what is good/ bad.

I totally agree with this advice. Relationships are about communication enabling each partner to please and love the other. Best of luck to you OP!

This whole post is excellent!
Reply 82
supernova2
Are you sure!?

In the eyes of the law, it wouldn't be rape unless:

1) she said no and he continued
2) he pressured her and she did it because she felt pressured... although this would be even harder to prove than 1, and even that is hard to prove.

It could feel like rape with this, but she couldn't take any legal action because she didn't make clear that she didn't want it, at the same time her boyfriend should not have just assumed either.
Reply 83
DafyddHR
Im sorry but no.

You're saying that people shouldn't be so judgemental as to say that "she could've just said no" as she may not have been able too.....

...and then going onto say "Men shouldn't be allowed to treat women as property they can abuse"

I'm sorry but that just seems to percepuate a double standard of treatment. To correct you, men aren't allowed to "abuse" women like propety and most men don't want too and try not too.

You're saying that this girl can't be blamedwho has made a mistake in assuming that his girlfriend is contenting...even thought she's nothing overwise

I'm afraid I don't quite get your point. I'm trying to explain that sometimes, and ONLY SOMETIMES (i.e definitely not all men) men think that women are their property and therefore treat them so, telling them what to think and what to say, which may lead to her feeling like she cannot say no.
Reply 84
Back to the point, its her fault. She sat there and let him do it when she didn't want to. Maybe he should have read her mind first, I know I would have.
Reply 85
randomgirl
He took off your clothes and starting having sex with you even though you had not responded in anyway (physically or verbally)?
He shouldn't have just assumed consent like that.

ridiculous

how many guys in relationships of over a year wake up the bird and say "excuse me my dear, fancy some intercourse?"

in my experience they love being woken for some loving alot of the time. its not a formal thing is it. her fault for not saying anything tbh
Reply 86
Q_M
Well sorry but what I said was a perfectly good reply which clearly a fair few people on here seem to agree with.

Your just talking complete rubbish

:ditto:
Mijdge
Well I don't think you're in any position to comment on the example I used. I was trying to put across that people don't understand that sometimes women are too scared to talk.

Even?

So why use the example if you didnt want me to respond? You are out of order to assume that any partner I may or may not have would be in a bad situation in your opinion, simply based on 2 or 3 posts made on this forum.
Reply 88
bean87
ridiculous

how many guys in relationships of over a year wake up the bird and say "excuse me my dear, fancy some intercourse?"

in my experience they love being woken for some loving alot of the time. its not a formal thing is it. her fault for not saying anything tbh
...I suspect randomgirl was being sarcastic there.
Reply 89
Back to the point, its her fault. She sat there and let him do it when she didn't want to. Maybe he should have read her mind first, I know I would have.

Do you not think that she realises that she should have stopped it if she didnt want it to happen? I am sure part of what she is feeling is anger at herself for not speaking up, something else to add to the mix of negative emotions.

It is totally pointless to throw blame around and talk about legal definitions of rape, cant we try talking to the op about her feelings and supporting her in making positive changes for the future?
Hylean
To be fair, if you didn't want to have sex with him, it's still rape, even if you didn't try to stop him.

Implied consent sounds like the key phrase, dunno if it exists but it damn well should. Rape my arse.
bean87
ridiculous

I did not say that it was rape. See my other post. IMO it's just a dodgy middle ground thing. If the OP did not respond in any way, I'd imagine many men would wonder what was wrong and NOT continue with sex or whatever. However, if the OP objected she could have pushed him off etc. There are two sides to this.

If my boyfriend did this to me I would not accuse him of rape. But if I did not want the sex at that time I would tell him so.

The OP just needs to talk to her bf and see what he says.
Reply 92
MuseValheru
So why use the example if you didnt want me to respond? You are out of order to assume that any partner I may or may not have would be in a bad situation in your opinion, simply based on 2 or 3 posts made on this forum.

It was a throwaway comment, and I'm sure you would treat your partner wonderfully, but I don't appreciate being told I'm an idiot or out of order for expressing my own opinions. I'm sorry if it hurt you.
Reply 93
randomgirl
I did not say that it was rape. See my other post. IMO it's just a dodgy middle ground thing. If the OP did not respond in any way, I'd imagine many men would wonder what was wrong and NOT continue with sex or whatever. However, if the OP objected she could have pushed him off etc. There are two sides to this.

If my boyfriend did this to me I would not accuse him of rape. But if I did not want the sex at that time I would tell him so.

The OP just needs to talk to her bf and see what he says.

i did not accuse you of saying it was rape
Anonymous
Please keep as anon as my bf comes on here - if not please delete. Thank you.

I've been with my bf for well over a year now and we've been having sex for the majority of that time, so this is NOT about virginity-losing or anything.

Basically last night he stayed over at my house for the first time because I'm not usually allowed to have him stay the night. We had an argument earlier in the evening and went to bed in near silence. Then he suddenly climbed on top of me and pulled off my pyjamas and we had sex, and I didn't stop him but I really wasn't enjoying it and we just had sex in silence with him occasionally making a noise, and then he finished and rolled off and just went to sleep.

Now this morning I feel really dirty and really upset about it, I feel sick when I think about it, almost as if I'd been raped. I don't know what to do to make myself forget about it. Any help is much appreciated.

im missing something here - how did he force you exactly? I fail to possibly see how on earth this can be compared to rape
Mijdge
It was a throwaway comment, and I'm sure you would treat your partner wonderfully, but I don't appreciate being told I'm an idiot or out of order for expressing my own opinions. I'm sorry if it hurt you.

I didnt call you an idiot. And you were out of order with a personal attack against somebody expressing their own opinion.

Thanks for the apology.
Reply 96
Regretting sex after it's happened is one thing.

Being forced is entirely another.

I find it hard to believe that the OP wouldn't have done anything if she truly felt it was forced - but feeling upset and used the next day means she just needs to be more communicative and "just say no", as the cliché goes.

I don't think this is rape. Not after 8 months of being in a relationship with the same person and having had sexual intercourse with said partner in that time.
Anonymous
Please keep as anon as my bf comes on here - if not please delete. Thank you.

I've been with my bf for well over a year now and we've been having sex for the majority of that time, so this is NOT about virginity-losing or anything.

Basically last night he stayed over at my house for the first time because I'm not usually allowed to have him stay the night. We had an argument earlier in the evening and went to bed in near silence. Then he suddenly climbed on top of me and pulled off my pyjamas and we had sex, and I didn't stop him but I really wasn't enjoying it and we just had sex in silence with him occasionally making a noise, and then he finished and rolled off and just went to sleep.

Now this morning I feel really dirty and really upset about it, I feel sick when I think about it, almost as if I'd been raped. I don't know what to do to make myself forget about it. Any help is much appreciated.

Ive dealt with things like this before i used to work in a well known help-line.

Just talk to him! Tell him how you felt and vice versa.
Reply 98
Lychee
Do you not think that she realises that she should have stopped it if she didnt want it to happen? I am sure part of what she is feeling is anger at herself for not speaking up, something else to add to the mix of negative emotions.

It is totally pointless to throw blame around and talk about legal definitions of rape, cant we try talking to the op about her feelings and supporting her in making positive changes for the future?

Thank you Lychee, all your posts have been really sensible, you seem to be one of the minority who have understood I am NOT ACCUSING HIM OF RAPE. I used it as an analogy, probably wrongly, but I was attempting to explain what I feel like. And yes, a big part of it is that I didn't speak up, and that I was too scared to, and now I know when I do talk to him he will just take the line that "oh, you should have said something". But right there in the moment it didn't feel like I COULD say anything as I thought he'd just get even angrier.

To answer another question - no, there was no kissing or touching involved, and no speaking. It was very clinical and very rough.
Hylean
Yep. If they turn round the next day and says, "you raped me", by law you've no ground to stand on. The law was ushered in when many rape cases were being dismissed cause the defendant argued, "they were drunk and said yes".

I believe it falls under "diminished capacity". The argument is, because the person is drunk they are in no shape to make decisions and thus, nothing they say whilst drunk should be considered to be their actual thought on the subject, ie they have no idea what they are doing. Much like a crazy person cannot be held guilty of murder, they had no idea what they were doing, etc.

What so your relinquished of being responsible for your actions when drunk? Could I kick someones head in and say I had no idea what I was doing because of diminished capacity?

Latest

Trending

Trending