The Student Room Group

Are you ever worried you won't find the one?

I'm only 18 yet I'm worried I won't EVER find the one myself and it'll be an arranged marriage (I'm not opposed to it, but you hear so many stories of people finding their life partners at uni and work and I feel like that won't be me - I've even seen couples in college (second year especially) and I wish sometimes I was in their shoes and I was loved by someone like that). I find it hard to open up to people and show love and I feel like that would turn guys away from me instantly.
Reply 1
Your only 18. Thats young!
Dont worry, youll find the one someday.
Never worried about it.
What will be will be, if it happens it happens.
That said I'm way to fussy so probably no, ah!!!!
No.
I'll probably go down the ivf co-parenting route.
I've turned down marriage offers and arranged marriages involving dowries.
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
No.
I'll probably go down the ivf co-parenting route.
I've turned down marriage offers and arranged marriages involving dowries.

Fair enough - I can’t believe people still ask for dowries it’s the 21st century - if my lover’s family asked for a dowry that would be the relationship over. My mum’s Indian family don’t ever ask for dowries, so if that would arise in the UK, I’d be done - it’s old school practice and tbh it shouldn’t exist.
Reply 5
Original post by Karisa96
Never worried about it.
What will be will be, if it happens it happens.
That said I'm way to fussy so probably no, ah!!!!

I’m fussy too so that’s another reason I don’t think I’ll ever find the one. I feel like I have a list the size of my arm of what I want in a guy but I should ease off a little.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m fussy too so that’s another reason I don’t think I’ll ever find the one. I feel like I have a list the size of my arm of what I want in a guy but I should ease off a little.

Don't lower your standards girlie, I never will.
Xx
I'm only 18 yet I'm worried I won't EVER find the one myself and it'll be an arranged marriage (I'm not opposed to it, but you hear so many stories of people finding their life partners at uni and work and I feel like that won't be me - I've even seen couples in college (second year especially) and I wish sometimes I was in their shoes and I was loved by someone like that). I find it hard to open up to people and show love and I feel like that would turn guys away from me instantly.

Yes I 100% about that
Has anyone found 'the one'? Is that really a thing?
Original post by vix.xvi
Has anyone found 'the one'? Is that really a thing?

Me..

Also @OP some people ask for dowries as part of a religious thing.
me
Never understood why young people are so fixated and concerned about finding the "one". Just live your life and work on yourself and "the one" will come to you eventually.
tbh im more of a lone wolf and like to do what i want when i want but sometimes i suppose i think it would be nice to have someone. on the other hand that whole society thing of "the special somebody" annoys and angers me aswell, i think it encourages teenagers to have unrealistic expectations and like they should all just jump into the first thing that comes their way and then if its going wrong or they are in an abusive situation they dont want to leave as they have staked their whole reputation on this or want to prove to their family that it was the right choice, and that the family were not right etc
I'm 29 and still haven't found the one 😂 don't worry, you will, you have plenty of time but try and enjoy your life regardless :smile:
I can’t believe people still ask for dowries it’s the 21st century - if my lover’s family asked for a dowry that would be the relationship over. My mum’s Indian family don’t ever ask for dowries, so if that would arise in the UK, I’d be done - it’s old school practice and tbh it shouldn’t exist.

I know, my best friend's family in India don't accept or ask about dowries.
It's like stepping back into the time of Henry VII and gives rise to so much terrible abuse & legal disputes. :mad2:
The British courts need to stop enforcing all contracts and legal proceedings that include any mention of dowry demands or payments.
Too many fundamentalist churches and other traditionalist religious groups insist that turning away from dowry traditions will invalidate the legality of the marriage or put curses on the wedding/family members of the couple. :facepalm:
Original post by Hoodlum123
Never understood why young people are so fixated and concerned about finding the "one". Just live your life and work on yourself and "the one" will come to you eventually.

It’s nice to have someone to be able to pour your heart out to and love when you feel like you can’t talk to your friends and family when you’re struggling (which is me most of the time)
It’s nice to have someone to be able to pour your heart out to and love when you feel like you can’t talk to your friends and family when you’re struggling (which is me most of the time)

Fair enough.
i found the one and i'm really happy you will find your love too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending