The Student Room Group

Which Laptop?

I have an offer to study at the uni of Manchester for B.Eng MECHATRONIC ENGINEERING. I wanted to know do I need a high end laptop for it or the uni provides computers to work on. Will a macbook air(2020) be good enough?
I think you should enquire with the uni
I think the MBA 2020 will be great
the BTO quad-core i5 might have been better choice of CPU, but probably anything would work.

I did also buy a "refurb" ex-bank lease Lenovo T420 from an auction website, for Win10 (using the win7 licence that's usually stuck inside the ex-bank laptops) that was old dual-core i5, but does most jobs that an MBA can't , (has a few more ports)

some unis lend out Windows machines, generic Dells or whatever, if they need autocad etc
Original post by Rajwardhan
I have an offer to study at the uni of Manchester for B.Eng MECHATRONIC ENGINEERING. I wanted to know do I need a high end laptop for it or the uni provides computers to work on. Will a macbook air(2020) be good enough?

I did Civil, not Mechatronic, but on my course a lot of the people who had Macs struggled as they couldn't use some of the programs we had to (they had to partition their hard drives or something, I didn't listen as it didn't apply to me).

I agree it'd be best to ask the uni. I waited till I started to buy my uni laptop so I could speak with the lecturers and ask for advice.

Quick Reply

Latest