The Student Room Group

Constant hissing in my left ear

So about 3 days ago I started to hear a kind of hissing/ringing sound in my left ear. It begain at night before I fell asleep. At first I wasnt bothered as I have had ringing in my ears at night in the past and it always goes away when I atopped thinking about it. This time though it stayed throughout the next day and it was as bad during the day as it is during the night. Since then it literally hasnt gone at all.For the last 3 days there haspwrmanently been a hissing sound in my left ear. Apparantly this is commonly associated with hearing loss, but my hearing hasnt got worse at all, its still as good as it has ever been. Anyone have any idea why this might be. Important note: the last few weeks I had an infrequent discomfort underneath my jaw on the left side. Not sure if it was oneof my glands. So a few nights ago I remember I was prodding around my glands to try and feel anything unusual. When i was touching one of my glands in a certain way I felt a slight pain in my left ear. Im pretty sure but not 100% sure that this is when the ringing started. After I rubbed one if my glands. In hindsight of course I shouldnt have done this. Has anyone ever experienced anything remotely similar? This hissing sound is really annoying.
Sounds like tinnitus. I've had it the majority of my life, mine has been particularly bad the last week or so with a ringing/hissing. Mine has got worse with age!
Original post by Anonymous
So about 3 days ago I started to hear a kind of hissing/ringing sound in my left ear. It begain at night before I fell asleep. At first I wasnt bothered as I have had ringing in my ears at night in the past and it always goes away when I atopped thinking about it. This time though it stayed throughout the next day and it was as bad during the day as it is during the night. Since then it literally hasnt gone at all.For the last 3 days there haspwrmanently been a hissing sound in my left ear. Apparantly this is commonly associated with hearing loss, but my hearing hasnt got worse at all, its still as good as it has ever been. Anyone have any idea why this might be. Important note: the last few weeks I had an infrequent discomfort underneath my jaw on the left side. Not sure if it was oneof my glands. So a few nights ago I remember I was prodding around my glands to try and feel anything unusual. When i was touching one of my glands in a certain way I felt a slight pain in my left ear. Im pretty sure but not 100% sure that this is when the ringing started. After I rubbed one if my glands. In hindsight of course I shouldnt have done this. Has anyone ever experienced anything remotely similar? This hissing sound is really annoying.

Did u use a cotton bud befor it happened
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous2525
Did u use a cotton bud befor it happened

No - not sure if this has anything to do with it but I have bden using over ear headphones a lot recently. Maybe I should lay of it a bit.
No - not sure if this has anything to do with it but I have bden using over ear headphones a lot recently. Maybe I should lay of it a bit.

U should go to a doctor and get them to check ur ear basically it could be that u have a lot of ear wax I had that and i messed my ear up coz I pushed the wax down with a cotton bud. I used to hear noise in the day time worse at night in the silence and it was really annoying. The doctor gave me ear oil to soften the wax and it got rid of the noise it doesn’t happen immediately u have to use the oil for a while

You should go to a doctor because untreated it could potentially be permanent.
How's you tinnitus now?

Quick Reply

Latest