The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

can I apply to universal credit at uni

if im a full time student at uni can I still apply for universal credit
No. Although I think it depends. I was on it and got onto a course so phoned them up to sign off and they said that because I didn't have children or I'm not caring for someone then I wouldn't be able to claim anymore.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
If you're classed as LCWWRA (sickness benefit element of UC) then you can study an OU degree, as it is considered part-time, however loans or grants you receive may reduce your benefits if you're also earning close to or above the work allowance income, so double check about this. If you're on UC which is a version of job seeker's allowance, I don't think you can claim and study part time, but this is a new benefit so it is worth checking. Try the Citizen's Advice Bureau.
Reply 3
Full Time: No ordinarily (there are exceptions)

Part-Time: Yes (with caveats) but should be actively seeking work and able to fulfil 37.5 hrs of work if you find a suitable job.

You will be required to report any income from loans/grants etc (maintenance/bursaries... NOT the tuition fee loan) and this might affect the amount of benefit you receive.
In Germany if your a student your not the States problem. I'm shocked in the UK this is possible at all.
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
In Germany if your a student your not the States problem. I'm shocked in the UK this is possible at all.

That doesn't seem reasonable tbh
Original post by Anonymous
That doesn't seem reasonable tbh

You can get student finance but you won't universal credit or our equivalent. But that's not who university is aimed at in Germany. It's for the elite basically. Only 25% even have a bachelors degree.... If your not smart enough your best off doing ausbildung or job's training. Then if you want to study should save up money. But there's no fee's so it kinda does balance. No system is perfect.
Original post by Anonymous
if im a full time student at uni can I still apply for universal credit

I thought you could if you have a child?
All OU degrees regardless of intensity are considered part-time by the Govt, so you are free to study 120 credits a year but will have to declare any income as you say, although if you are LCWWRA this income (~£5,500 in loans and grants) will when averaged across 12 months come below your work allowance and thus not affect your benefit unless you also receive the housing element of UC.
Do you mean what is LCWWRA? Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity. It’s universal credit but you’re not required to look for or take up work at any point in the near future, basically the new sickness benefit.
I was under the impression all income is counted? So the work allowance doesn’t apply to student finance?
So basically if I get £5500 maintenance grant and loan, my benefits will be reduced by £5500? Might as well cancel it then.
That page seems contradictory. It says I will be counted as receiving full student finance even if I don’t, and then that if I don’t receive student finance (does this mean tuition fee loans as well?) I will not be counted as a student. So is this saying I HAVE to receive the full student finance or my UC will be reduced anyway? And on the phone to the Student Finance girl, she said the Special Support grant is only available to full time students and OU is considered part time...

Quick Reply

Latest