The Student Room Group

GEM funding application

Hello, I am a biomed student going into my last year this september, but I am applying to Graduate Entry Med School. I am a EU student and currently have a tuition fee loan for my undergraduate degree. I wanted to ask if I need to do a separate application for tuition fee loan for graduate med school and when I should begin it. Right now I'm preparing for tests and obviously it's not sure if I'll get int so I was just wondering how and when I should apply for a loan. Thanks
Original post by Mattia20D
Hello, I am a biomed student going into my last year this september, but I am applying to Graduate Entry Med School. I am a EU student and currently have a tuition fee loan for my undergraduate degree. I wanted to ask if I need to do a separate application for tuition fee loan for graduate med school and when I should begin it. Right now I'm preparing for tests and obviously it's not sure if I'll get int so I was just wondering how and when I should apply for a loan. Thanks

Hi there, if your GEM course starts in the 21/22 academic year, you will be classed as a new student.

The government has released information regarding eligibility for new EU students who are starting university in the 2021/22 academic year. You can read this information here http://ow.ly/S3Ty30qSFeW
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, if your GEM course starts in the 21/22 academic year, you will be classed as a new student.
The government has released information regarding eligibility for new EU students who are starting university in the 2021/22 academic year. You can read this information here http://ow.ly/S3Ty30qSFeW
Thanks, Isaac

I read it . Does this mean that since I'm a EU student I won't get any funding whatsoever and I need to self fund the entirety of med school? I don't know if I benefit from the Citizen's rights under the EU Withdrawal agreement. I would like to say that I'm doing my undergraduate degree in the UK, so I don't know if that changes my status in some way
(edited 3 years ago)
I read it . Does this mean that since I'm a EU student I won't get any funding whatsoever and I need to self fund the entirety of med school? I don't know if I benefit from the Citizen's rights under the EU Withdrawal agreement. I would like to say that I'm doing my undergraduate degree in the UK, so I don't know if that changes my status in some way

If you are a new student (starting a new course) then the information the government released will apply to you unfortunately.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
If you are a new student (starting a new course) then the information the government released will apply to you unfortunately.
Thanks, Isaac

So, I have another question.
To my understanding, students who want to to Graduate Entry Med school pay around 9k a year. For the first year, they have to pay for themselves the first instalment of around 3k pounds and then they can get a loan from Student Finance for the remaining 6k in the first year. From the 2nd year until the end, the tuition costs are covered by NHS. Is that correct?
Now, if what I said is correct, does that mean that as a EU student I won't be eligible to get that 6k loan from SFE to cover the first year and so I have to fund it myself? Or is the sum of money I need to pay in the first year even more, given that I am considered an international student?

Thank you
So, I have another question.
To my understanding, students who want to to Graduate Entry Med school pay around 9k a year. For the first year, they have to pay for themselves the first instalment of around 3k pounds and then they can get a loan from Student Finance for the remaining 6k in the first year. From the 2nd year until the end, the tuition costs are covered by NHS. Is that correct?
Now, if what I said is correct, does that mean that as a EU student I won't be eligible to get that 6k loan from SFE to cover the first year and so I have to fund it myself? Or is the sum of money I need to pay in the first year even more, given that I am considered an international student?

Thank you

Is this in regards to the 21/22 academic year?
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending